Conservation Behavior, TCBES Cultural and Resource Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Passcode: behavior
Conservation Behavior, TCBES Cultural and Resource Seminar
Utilizing social psychology to enhance conservation behavior
Franny Kinslow Brewer, Communication Director, Big Island Invasive Species Committee (BIISC)
In conservation, outreach efforts have traditionally focused on sharing information and increasing awareness of issues. However, research has demonstrated that awareness and understanding are not sufficient for engendering desired conservation-oriented behaviors. In the case of invasive species control, when specific behaviors by members of the public are necessary to reach conservation goals, using strategies based in social science can increase engagement and action. Working in collaboration with social scientists, BIISC has been testing the use of various sociological tools including community-based social marketing (CBSM) to prevent and control the spread of invasive species. In this talk, we will review some of the literature supporting the use of social science for conservation goals, as well as some of the results of BIISCʻs efforts on the Big Island.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7573
What's also happening?
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a UH HILO STUDENT IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING, HAVE A MINIMUM GPA OF 2.0, AND MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST SIX CREDITS. ...
- BOSP Publicist Open Position
- Open Position with Board of Student Publications! Publicist Applicant Must be a UH Hilo Student in good academic standing, have a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association
- Announcement of Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings Meet your fellow artists! All UH Hilo students are welcome! Social time to brainstorm creative ideas for our networking and activities. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.