Community-Based Conservation, TCBES Natural Resource Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Password: TCBES
Community-Based Conservation, TCBES Natural Resource Seminar
Speaker: Ulu Ching, Senior Program Manager - Community-based Conservation
Conservation International Hawaiʻi
Title: Kuleana: Yours, Mines, Ours
Join Zoom Link: zoom.us/j/979600654
Zoom password: TCBES
Abstract: What does natural resource management mean to you? What in our world needs managing? The historical human-centric view of natural resource management perpetuates a narrative of human dominance over nature and a need to manage our environment to maximize the benefit to ourselves. Indigenous epistemologies offer a much more balanced view of our human role in co-existing with and caring for all that feeds and nourishes us. Our ʻike kupuna shows us philosophies and approaches to resource management that are grounded in reciprocity, accountability, and respect. These attributes can be summed up in the term kuleana. In Hawaiʻi, we have the opportunity to redefine what natural resource management is and how we put it into action across our pae ʻāina through the concept of kuleana. There is no better place to experience and contribute to this paradigm shift than in our communities of place and practice where bottom-up and collaborative efforts continue to emerge as the areas of innovation and solutions. We are at a critical juncture. Biodiversity loss, declining fisheries, invasive species impacts all continue to threaten our Hawaiʻi...what then needs to be managed...nature...or humans?
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327573
What's also happening?
- The Conversion of Kaʻahumanu
- The Conversion of Kaʻahumanu By Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl Directed by Justina Mattos Set during the tumultuous period immediately following the fall of the kapu system and during the arrival of the first American missionaries, The ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions - Apply Now!
- Vulcan Video Productions is UH Hilo's video production program that provides opportunities for students to gain experience and education in video production and broadcasting with high quality equipment and editing programs. ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- General Education redesign team wanted!
- Aloha Vulcans! The Summer 2021 General Education Institute is looking for applicants! Now is the time to speak your mind on general education classes! Currently, the University of Hawai’i has formed a UH General Education Curriculum Design ...
- University Radio Hilo (KUHH 101.1fm) - Apply Now!
- As a communications base of University of Hawaii at Hilo (UH Hilo), University Radio Hilo (URH) provides the opportunity for UH Hilo students to gain experience, education and training in radio broadcasting. ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.