Community-Based Conservation, TCBES Natural Resource Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Password: TCBES
Community-Based Conservation, TCBES Natural Resource Seminar
Speaker: Ulu Ching, Senior Program Manager - Community-based Conservation
Conservation International Hawaiʻi
Title: Kuleana: Yours, Mines, Ours
Join Zoom Link: zoom.us/j/979600654
Zoom password: TCBES
Abstract: What does natural resource management mean to you? What in our world needs managing? The historical human-centric view of natural resource management perpetuates a narrative of human dominance over nature and a need to manage our environment to maximize the benefit to ourselves. Indigenous epistemologies offer a much more balanced view of our human role in co-existing with and caring for all that feeds and nourishes us. Our ʻike kupuna shows us philosophies and approaches to resource management that are grounded in reciprocity, accountability, and respect. These attributes can be summed up in the term kuleana. In Hawaiʻi, we have the opportunity to redefine what natural resource management is and how we put it into action across our pae ʻāina through the concept of kuleana. There is no better place to experience and contribute to this paradigm shift than in our communities of place and practice where bottom-up and collaborative efforts continue to emerge as the areas of innovation and solutions. We are at a critical juncture. Biodiversity loss, declining fisheries, invasive species impacts all continue to threaten our Hawaiʻi...what then needs to be managed...nature...or humans?
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8089327573
What's also happening?
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a UH HILO STUDENT IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING, HAVE A MINIMUM GPA OF 2.0, AND MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST SIX CREDITS. ...
- BOSP Publicist Open Position
- Open Position with Board of Student Publications! Publicist Applicant Must be a UH Hilo Student in good academic standing, have a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association
- Announcement of Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings Meet your fellow artists! All UH Hilo students are welcome! Social time to brainstorm creative ideas for our networking and activities. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.