TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Angalee Kirby - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. or One tap mobile +13462487799,,8565059619# US (Houston) +14086380968,,8565059619# US (San Jose)
TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Angalee Kirby
TCBES Master's Thesis Defense via Zoom - Angalee Kirby
Thursday, April 9, 2020, 2:30 PM
Location: Online Only
Join Zoom Meeting: hawaii.zoom.us/j/8565059619
Meeting ID: 856 505 9619
or One tap mobile
+13462487799,,8565059619# US (Houston)
+14086380968,,8565059619# US (San Jose)
Title: Are symbiotic nitrogen fixation strategies tied to invasiveness for non-native woody legumes in Hawaiʻi?
Abstract: A diversity of strategies are used by symbiotic nitrogen-fixing plants, each well suited for specific environmental conditions. Little is known about whether fixation strategies are related to invasiveness when these species are introduced to new environments. In a shade house experiment using an isotopic tracer, I show that eight non-native N-fixing tree species (four high risk and four low risk for invasiveness in Hawaiʻi) varied in their growth, allocation, and N-fixing traits, in response to three levels of fertilization and could be grouped into three distinct fixation strategies: obligate, facultative, and over regulation. Strategies appear to be influenced by the trait plasticity of each species, but do not appear related to risk assessments for invasiveness in Hawaiʻi. This implies that individual species is a more likely predictor of N fixation strategy, and thus how a species will respond to varying environmental conditions, than nutrient availability.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8089327573
What's also happening?
- APIA Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from the Asian & Pacific Islander American (APIA) Scholars! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards for the 2021-2022 school year. Deadline to apply: January 14, 2021. ...
- Martin Luther King Day - Student Life Center is CLOSED
- The Student Life Center will be CLOSED on Monday January 18th.
- Hohonu Submissions are Open!
- Every year, Hohonu publishes an academic journal filled with papers submitted by students. Submissions are accessed by the Hohonu staff and from there are either accepted into the editing process or denied. ...
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a UH HILO STUDENT IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING, HAVE A MINIMUM GPA OF 2.0, AND MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST SIX CREDITS. ...
- BOSP Publicist Open Position
- Open Position with Board of Student Publications! Publicist Applicant Must be a UH Hilo Student in good academic standing, have a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association
- Announcement of Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings Meet your fellow artists! All UH Hilo students are welcome! Social time to brainstorm creative ideas for our networking and activities. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.