TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Devon Aguilar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online.
TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Devon Aguilar
TCBES Master's Thesis Defense via Zoom - Devon Aguilar
Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 9:00 AM
Location: Online Only
Zoom link: hawaii.zoom.us/j/591947647
Title: Detection and Impact of Sewage Pollution on South Kohala’s Coral Reefs
Abstract: Sewage pollution is one of many land-based stressors impacting coral reefs worldwide. On-site sewage disposal systems (OSDS) and wastewater injection wells are abundant in the Hawaiian Islands and have been associated with coastal water pollution. OSDS and wastewater injection wells are used throughout South Kohala, Hawaiʻi, and may be contributing the degradation of nearby reefs. Conducting benthic sampling and employing a multi-indicator approach, this study sought to determine the presence and impact of sewage on South Kohala’s reefs. Water motion and groundwater are likely diluting sewage found on South Kohala’s reefs. Tidal changes were also documented moving sewage polluted inshore waters over the reef. Results of benthic surveys identified turf algae as the dominant benthic cover, with calcification the lowest in sewage polluted regions. Sewage pollution may also be facilitating growth anomalies and algal overgrowth on South Kohala’s reefs. With natural processes facilitating the connectivity between land and sea, this study illustrates the need for improved sewage treatment and disposal within developed coastlines.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7573
What's also happening?
- Martin Luther King Day - Student Life Center is CLOSED
- The Student Life Center will be CLOSED on Monday January 18th.
- Hohonu Submissions are Open!
- Every year, Hohonu publishes an academic journal filled with papers submitted by students. Submissions are accessed by the Hohonu staff and from there are either accepted into the editing process or denied. ...
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a UH HILO STUDENT IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING, HAVE A MINIMUM GPA OF 2.0, AND MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST SIX CREDITS. ...
- BOSP Publicist Open Position
- Open Position with Board of Student Publications! Publicist Applicant Must be a UH Hilo Student in good academic standing, have a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association
- Announcement of Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings Meet your fellow artists! All UH Hilo students are welcome! Social time to brainstorm creative ideas for our networking and activities. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.