TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Leah Sherwood - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Meeting Password: 503924
TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Leah Sherwood
Location: Online Only
Please join us for the first defense of the season!
TCBES graduate student Leah Sherwood's MS thesis defense is on YouTube at youtu.be/fQyIPoqN4eA.
A Live Q&A: 1:30 pm on Thursday, April 2. Use the Zoom link:
Meeting Password: 503924
TITLE: Applying Object Detection to Monitoring Plastic Marine Debris
ABSTRACT: Beach surveys of plastic marine debris require significant manual labor and lack harmonization across survey sites. In this thesis, I demonstrate how object detection technology based on deep learning can be deployed to partially automate the manual labor required to conduct beach surveys and upload the survey results to a centralized marine debris database. I developed an object detection system for marine debris using Darknet and the detection algorithm YOLOv3. I trained the detector algorithm on nine object classes: bags, bottlecaps, bottles, buoys, containers, hagfish traps, nets, oyster spacers, and “other,” and achieved a mean average precision of 52%. Next, a team of UH Hilo computer science undergraduates and I migrated the system to the Android smartphone platform using Tiny YOLO, a smaller version of YOLO that was developed for running on low-powered computing devices. My results demonstrate that it is possible to deploy object detection technology at beach survey sites to identify and count marine debris objects in real time. The technology is also applicable to other scenarios such as monitoring for plastic marine debris underwater or on the ocean surface. Ultimately, I expect the technology to be deployed as part of a “human in the loop” system in which the object detection component interacts with the person performing the beach survey so that the system can continuously improve in accuracy as it is used in the field while reducing the time and human labor costs associated with beach debris surveys.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7573
What's also happening?
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a UH HILO STUDENT IN GOOD ACADEMIC STANDING, HAVE A MINIMUM GPA OF 2.0, AND MUST BE ENROLLED IN AT LEAST SIX CREDITS. ...
- BOSP Publicist Open Position
- Open Position with Board of Student Publications! Publicist Applicant Must be a UH Hilo Student in good academic standing, have a minimum GPA of 2.0, and must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association
- Announcement of Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings Meet your fellow artists! All UH Hilo students are welcome! Social time to brainstorm creative ideas for our networking and activities. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.