TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Leah Sherwood - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event is being held online. Meeting Password: 503924
TCBES Thesis Defense via Zoom - Leah Sherwood
Location: Online Only
Please join us for the first defense of the season!
TCBES graduate student Leah Sherwood's MS thesis defense is on YouTube at youtu.be/fQyIPoqN4eA.
A Live Q&A: 1:30 pm on Thursday, April 2. Use the Zoom link:
Meeting Password: 503924
TITLE: Applying Object Detection to Monitoring Plastic Marine Debris
ABSTRACT: Beach surveys of plastic marine debris require significant manual labor and lack harmonization across survey sites. In this thesis, I demonstrate how object detection technology based on deep learning can be deployed to partially automate the manual labor required to conduct beach surveys and upload the survey results to a centralized marine debris database. I developed an object detection system for marine debris using Darknet and the detection algorithm YOLOv3. I trained the detector algorithm on nine object classes: bags, bottlecaps, bottles, buoys, containers, hagfish traps, nets, oyster spacers, and “other,” and achieved a mean average precision of 52%. Next, a team of UH Hilo computer science undergraduates and I migrated the system to the Android smartphone platform using Tiny YOLO, a smaller version of YOLO that was developed for running on low-powered computing devices. My results demonstrate that it is possible to deploy object detection technology at beach survey sites to identify and count marine debris objects in real time. The technology is also applicable to other scenarios such as monitoring for plastic marine debris underwater or on the ocean surface. Ultimately, I expect the technology to be deployed as part of a “human in the loop” system in which the object detection component interacts with the person performing the beach survey so that the system can continuously improve in accuracy as it is used in the field while reducing the time and human labor costs associated with beach debris surveys.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7573
What's also happening?
- Student Activities Council (SAC) Open Positions - Apply Now!
- SAC Applications are open. The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- Student Activities Council (SAC) ID Validation Reminder
- Aloha Vulcans, Hope you are all ready for this upcoming Fall semester. Best of luck to all students both returning and freshmen from all of SAC. ...
- BOSP Positions Open!
- If you enjoy writing, editing or leadership join BOSP! The Board of Student Publications has positions open in Hohonu, Kanilehua, Ke Kalahea and the Board! Applications are available on our website under Forms. ...
- Menstrual Equity Survey
- We want to hear from you! The Women's Center and UHHSA are collaborating on a menstrual equity initiative that could bring a free supply of period products on campus. Fill out out the menstrual equity survey using this link: ...
- Diaper Bank Flyer
- Do you want to donate diapers for our locals and keiki? Come by the new Hawai`i Diaper Bank drop off location with your diaper donation!
- AANAPISI Scholarship
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- APIA Scholarship
- 2022-23 UH Common Scholarship Application Available Oct 1st
- Starting October 1, 2021, students can complete the 2022-23 UH System Common Scholarship Application online at www.hawaii.edu/tuition/scholarships/how-to-apply/. ...
- RISO Registration for 2021-2022 is now open
- The 2021-2022 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 25, 2022, at 4:30 pm. ...
- 2022-23 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Starting October 1, 2021, students can complete their 2022-23 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Studentaid.gov/fafsa To receive priority consideration at UH Hilo, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2022. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.