Leela Dance Collective presents: SPEAK - Event Details
Leela Dance Collective presents: SPEAK
Location: Performing Arts Center
Indian Kathak dance and American tap dance, continents and ages apart, share parallel stories of struggle and perseverance. They come together in this sensational collaboration that is rhythm, poetry, storytelling, music and dance. SPEAK carries forward the legacy of iconic artists like Pandit Chitresh Das, Dr. Jimmy Slyde and James Buster Brown, while bringing to the forefront the voices of powerful female artists.
SPEAK is socially relevant, takes risks, and breaks creative barriers. It celebrates unique and contrasting forms of expression, while finding common ground. It emphasizes improvisation as the unifying core rather than choreography. It highlights the vacuum of female artists in these art forms - a climate where well-known masters are still men. Most importantly, SPEAK uncovers how we are unique and how we are one. It is a statement for how we can be global citizens of this world.
Serving as the bridge between tradition and innovation, history and progress, Rina Mehta, Rachna Nivas, Michelle Dorrance, and Dormeshia Sumbry-Edwards create nothing short of magic on the stage, joined by the world’s leading Indian classical and jazz musicians, SPEAK promises to thrill, provoke and move your spirit.
“The East spoke to the West without using words.
It made you feel nothing else matters as long as we can experience beauty like this. Humanity will triumph in-spite of all the adverse events happening around us.”
- SPEAK Audience Member, 2015
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $30 General, $25 Discount, $15 UHH/HCC Students with VALID ID/Child 17 & under
At the Door: $35 General, $30 Discount, $20 UHH/HCC Student/Child
Tickets are available at the UH Hilo PAC Box Office: T-F 10am - 2pm; by calling 932-7490
or online: artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- Applications for Kanilehua Positions Have Reopened
- Kanilehua is now accepting applications for its literary editor, art editor, and layout designer positions. Stop by Campus Center Room 210 to pick up an application form.
- Art for Keiki: A Holiday Gift
- Students will learn techniques for creating beautiful, personalized works of art on wood. Choosing brushes, blending colors, preparing the surface, as well as basic painting approaches will be covered. ...
- Miniature Art: Tiles
- Create quick and satisfying miniature works of art and then transform them into functional gifts! Students will learn basic painting and collaging techniques to create beautiful, personalized tiles that can be used as accents in the home, ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2020 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend 8-to-10 weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- Time Change for Vinyasa Yoga Class at Student Life Center
- Come challenge yourself and relax deeply with a Vinyasa Flow Yoga class at the Student Life Center! New times offered: Mondays and Fridays at 6 pm. Wednesday's class will continue to be at 7 pm.
- Board of Media Broadcasting Positions Open
- The Board of Media Broadcasting is seeking students who are interested in getting more involved on campus and who are passionate about digital media particularly radio and video. ...
- Planning CoBE summer classes now: please take the survey
- Do you want to take a class in Sustainable Tourism for Hawaii and the Pacific? Social Media Analytics? Strategic Innovation? Retail Management? The College of Business and Economics is scheduling summer courses now. ...
- 13th Annual Korea-America Student Conference
- The 13th Korea-America Student Conference (KASC) will bring together Korean and American university students from a variety of academic disciplines to live, travel, and conduct original peer-reviewed research together. ...
- APIA Scholarship
- This scholarship is offered by the Asian and Pacific Islander American Foundation (APIA). Undergraduate students who are Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity and are US citizens, US nationals or permanent residents are eligible (students ...
- Submissions for Kanilehua Are Now Open
- Kanilehua is now accepting submissions of visual art (photography, drawing, painting, sculpture) and literature (short story, poetry, flash fiction, plays) for its Spring 2020 issue. ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.