Leela Dance Collective presents: SPEAK - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Leela Dance Collective presents: SPEAK
Location: Performing Arts Center
Indian Kathak dance and American tap dance, continents and ages apart, share parallel stories of struggle and perseverance. They come together in this sensational collaboration that is rhythm, poetry, storytelling, music and dance. SPEAK carries forward the legacy of iconic artists like Pandit Chitresh Das, Dr. Jimmy Slyde and James Buster Brown, while bringing to the forefront the voices of powerful female artists.
SPEAK is socially relevant, takes risks, and breaks creative barriers. It celebrates unique and contrasting forms of expression, while finding common ground. It emphasizes improvisation as the unifying core rather than choreography. It highlights the vacuum of female artists in these art forms - a climate where well-known masters are still men. Most importantly, SPEAK uncovers how we are unique and how we are one. It is a statement for how we can be global citizens of this world.
Serving as the bridge between tradition and innovation, history and progress, Rina Mehta, Rachna Nivas, Michelle Dorrance, and Dormeshia Sumbry-Edwards create nothing short of magic on the stage, joined by the world’s leading Indian classical and jazz musicians, SPEAK promises to thrill, provoke and move your spirit.
“The East spoke to the West without using words. It made you feel nothing else matters as long as we can experience beauty like this. Humanity will triumph in-spite of all the adverse events happening around us.”
- SPEAK Audience Member, 2015
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $30 General, $25 Discount, $15 UHH/HCC Students with VALID ID/Child 17 & under
At the Door: $35 General, $30 Discount, $20 UHH/HCC Student/Child
Tickets are available at the UH Hilo PAC Box Office: T-F 10am - 2pm; by calling 932-7490
or online: artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- International Nights Tickets on Sale Now!
- Celebrate the cultural diversity at UH Hilo at the 45th annual International Nights! The shows will be on Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 at 7:30 pm at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.