Okaidja Afroso - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: Performing Arts Center
Born into a family of musicians and storytellers in the village of Kokrobite on the west coast of Ghana, Okaidja Afroso is a singer, guitarist, percussionist, and dancer deeply connected to the musical traditions of the African Diaspora and devoted to bringing together diverse modes of expression in pursuit of global harmony. His four albums chart a journey from his past as a vocalist, percussionist and dancer with the Ghana Dance Ensemble and Obo Addy to the present, as a confident and mature songwriter and collaborator. His songs call back to the sounds of his youth, illuminating them with the experiences and wonder of a curious traveler, never resting and always seeking.
“My music preserves my West African roots while embracing diverse cross-cultural influences and styles. I strive to create a rhythmic fusion of old and new that presents a fresh sound and preserves the authenticity of the traditional while embracing the rich complexity of the integrated world we inhabit today. In my performances I explore how my ancestor’s traditions have persevered and been reshaped in a contemporary version of the African oral tradition. The complex compositions, soulful vocals, and spirited dancing combine to create an unforgettable and unique experience.” - Okaidja Afroso
Okaidja will perform with his trio.
This concert is part of the E Kanikapila! Rodney Wong Tribute Concert series and is supported in part by generous donations by the Wong Family and friends of Rodney Wong.
This project received support from Hawaiʻi State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, WESTAF (the Western States Arts Federation), and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Students with VALID ID/Child 17 & under
At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
Tickets are available at the UH Hilo PAC Box Office T-F 10am - 2pm; by calling 932-7490
or online: http://artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of October 20, 2019Next →
- International Nights Tickets on Sale Now!
- Celebrate the cultural diversity at UH Hilo at the 45th annual International Nights! The shows will be on Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 at 7:30 pm at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.