Okaidja Afroso - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: Performing Arts Center
Born into a family of musicians and storytellers in the village of Kokrobite on the west coast of Ghana, Okaidja Afroso is a singer, guitarist, percussionist, and dancer deeply connected to the musical traditions of the African Diaspora and devoted to bringing together diverse modes of expression in pursuit of global harmony. His four albums chart a journey from his past as a vocalist, percussionist and dancer with the Ghana Dance Ensemble and Obo Addy to the present, as a confident and mature songwriter and collaborator. His songs call back to the sounds of his youth, illuminating them with the experiences and wonder of a curious traveler, never resting and always seeking.
“My music preserves my West African roots while embracing diverse cross-cultural influences and styles. I strive to create a rhythmic fusion of old and new that presents a fresh sound and preserves the authenticity of the traditional while embracing the rich complexity of the integrated world we inhabit today. In my performances I explore how my ancestor’s traditions have persevered and been reshaped in a contemporary version of the African oral tradition. The complex compositions, soulful vocals, and spirited dancing combine to create an unforgettable and unique experience.” - Okaidja Afroso
Okaidja will perform with his trio.
This concert is part of the E Kanikapila! Rodney Wong Tribute Concert series and is supported in part by generous donations by the Wong Family and friends of Rodney Wong.
This project received support from Hawaiʻi State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, WESTAF (the Western States Arts Federation), and the National Endowment for the Arts.
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Students with VALID ID/Child 17 & under
At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
Tickets are available at the UH Hilo PAC Box Office T-F 10am - 2pm; by calling 932-7490
or online: http://artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award Nominations Now Open
- The 2021 Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award nominations are now open. Please submit your nominations no later than March 9, 2021, at 11:59 pm (This is a hard deadline, there will be no exceptions). ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- Freshman ʻEleu (Spring 2021)
- Attention freshmen, if you began at UH Hilo in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, it's time to meet with your advisor for your mandatory Freshman ʻEleu appointment. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition
- The online **Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition** is now open! All mediums (_drawing, painting, #D objects, videos, sculptures, ceramics, mixed media, etc._) accepted. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a - UH Hilo student in good academic standing, - Have a minimum GPA of 2.0, - And must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- Student Activities Council (SAC) Open Positions - Apply Now!
- SAC Applications are open. The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2021 Relay for Life. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.