SIGNALS: Unveiling Nearby Galaxies - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
SIGNALS: Unveiling Nearby Galaxies
Location: Student Services Center, Room W-201
Talk by Dr. R. Pierre Martin of the UH Hilo Physics & Astronomy Department.
Vast ensembles of stars, gas, planets and galaxies are the building blocks of the universe. In spiral galaxies, recently-formed stars contribute to their evolution across cosmic times. Despite significant progress made in our understanding on the processes at play in the evolution of these galaxies through star formation, many questions remain unanswered. To tackle them, our large international collaboration has recently undertaken an extensive observing program on nearby galaxies, called SIGNALS, using an innovative instrument at the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope on Maunakea. Using new spectacular images and animations, Dr. Martin will present some of the first results obtained with SIGNALS and discuss how our worldwide team is actively working in providing new insights on the general theme of "Where Do We Come From?"
Part of the International Topics Speaker Series. Free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 935-7991
What's also happening?
Week of March 24, 2019Next →
Holiday observed: Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Day
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.