Maunakea Astronomy: Discoveries from our Own Backyard - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Maunakea Astronomy: Discoveries from our Own Backyard
Location: Science and Technology Building, Room 108
In this free public talk, Dr. Scott Fisher will speak about the observatories atop Maunakea, some of the most exciting recent results from them, what it is like
to work as a staff scientist at a modern, large-aperture telescope, and how astronomy is taught at a large public university like the University of Oregon.
Dr. Fisher is a very energetic and engaging speaker who will use images and videos that are appropriate for all ages and all levels of astronomy knowledge. He is the Director for Undergraduate Studies at the University of Oregon Department of Physics, teaches introductory-level astronomy courses and runs an astronomical observatory. He worked at the National Science Foundation and at the Gemini
Observatory as an instrument scientist and member of the Gemini outreach team.
Please join us for this informative and exciting presentation!
For more information about the Journey Through the Universe program,
visit Gemini Observatory (www.gemini.edu/journey)
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 896-6582
What's also happening?
Week of March 3, 2019Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.