Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series Presentation - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series Presentation
Location: UCB 127
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series Presentation with Halena Kapuni-Reynolds: Ka Wahine Lei ʻUla: Ruth Keʻelikōlani
Ruth Keanolani Kanāhoahoa Keʻelikōlani was one of the most powerful Kanaka Maoli women to live in the 19th century. Within contemporary memory, she is remembered as a historical role model of Hawaiian resilience and as the aliʻi who intervened on behalf of the people of Hilo in 1881 when the fire god Pele nearly threatened to cover Hilo Town in lava. Within these forms of remembering Keʻelikōlani, her material and genealogical status is emphasized. But what of her status as a Hawaiian woman of chiefly authority?
This presentation focuses on two moʻolelo (stories) surrounding Ruth Keanolani Kanāhoahoa Keʻelikōlani's life. The first deals with the story of her birth and her life with Kaʻahumanu in the late 1820s. The second moʻolelo (re)tells the story of Keʻelikōlani's visit to Hilo in 1881.
Through Keʻelikōlani's moʻolelo, Halena will show how the rematriation of Hawaiian history and memory, i.e. the return to indigenous language archives in order to (re)interpret our past and our moʻolelo in ways that foreground the experiences of women, can provide fuller and more textured descriptions of Hawaiian history.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7399
What's also happening?
Week of February 24, 2019Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.