The Plants and Vegetation of Maunakea from Tree-line to Summit - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Plants and Vegetation of Maunakea from Tree-line to Summit
Location: UH Hilo Wentworth Hall Room #1
Dr. Grant Gerrish will relate the adventure of leading the team that completed the first botanical baseline survey of Maunakea in 2011, and describe the landscapes and many of the plant and lichen species encountered from the māmane woodlands to the “stone desert” at the summit. He will discuss the biogeographical factors that determine which native plant species can survive the incredibly harsh environment at the summit and the unique evolutionary forces that have brought forth species endemic to Maunakea.
Dr. Gerrish will also discuss the impact of human activity and present a new scheme to classify the vegetation and communities that differs from the previously used classification.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 933-0734
Tags: Maunakea Speaker Series
What's also happening?
Week of November 11, 2018Next →
Holiday observed: Veterans’ Day
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.