From the Depths of Self-Doubt to the Top of the World - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
From the Depths of Self-Doubt to the Top of the World
Location: UCB 100
Moving Mountains: A Journey from the Depths of Self-Doubt to the Top of the World
Kara Richardson Whitely will share her raw and inspiring story of her ascent from the depths of self-doubt to the top of the world -- and how to push beyond your own limits.
Kara knew she could reach the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro. She had done it once before. That’s why, when she failed in a second attempt, it brought her so low. Struggling with food addiction/binge eating disorder and looking for ways to cope with feelings of abandonment, failure and shame, Kara ballooned to over 300 pounds. Deep in her personal gorge, Kara realized the only way out was up. She resolved to climb the mountain again—and this time, she would hike without waiting for her plus-sized status to disappear. Even if the porters and guides were betting against her.
During her visit to the University of Hawai‘i-Hilo on Monday, November 5, Kara will share her story with epic photos of her journey. Kara's difficult trek speaks to everyone who has struggled with negative self-image. Kara will talk about going beyond limitations, body acceptance and fat shaming in the wild and at home, and finding a healthy path ahead.
Honest and unforgettable, Kara’s journey is one of intense passion, endurance and self-acceptance that we can learn from the plus-size adventurer from without having to trek up Africa's highest peak.
A little more about Kara:
Gorge, was published by Seal Press in Spring 2015. It has been called one of "Five Fabulous, Possibly Life-Changing Books" by Redbook magazine. Backpacker magazine said Kara's story as a plus-size adventurer is "as inspiring as it is refreshing." The New York Times Sunday Book Review said, in Gorge, Kara "writes accessibly and frankly about her struggles with both Kilimanjaro and her self-image. This detailed account of her travails will give confidence not only to hesitant would-be mountaineers but to those, like her, whose biggest hurdle is 'to learn to be O.K. with who I was.'"
Kara is scheduled to appear on the Megyn Kelly Today and PBS On the Contrary shows in the coming weeks for her new book Weight of Being. Also, HelloGiggles.com just called Weight of Being, "One of 11 New Memoirs You Must Read this Summer."
She was a blogger for Weight Watchers, the National Eating Disorder Association and is an Eating Recovery Center Binge Eating Disorder Advocate. She has served as an American Hiking Society ambassador, showing that hiking is open to any body.
Contact info for disability accommodations (at least 7 days prior): Destiny Rodriguez
Phone: (808) 932-7958
Admission: Free to public.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution, the University of Hawai'i is a campus of the University of Hawai'i System.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 498-6184
What's also happening?
|← Previous||Week of November 4, 2018||Next →|
Holiday observed: General Election Day
- Free Video Production workshop series
- Learn the principles of producing professional video content from two highly experienced entertainment industry producers. Topics range from producing and directing to broadcast platforms and selling yourself and your intellectual property. ...
- PIPES Internship applications accepted through February 8th
- The Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science is accepting applications through February 8th. Internships are available on Hawaiʻi, Maui, Oʻahu Molokaʻi, Kauaʻi, and across the Pacific. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- Study Abroad Photo Contest
- Submit your fun, exciting, adventurous or studious photos from any of your trips. It could be from your vacation, study abroad, national exchange journey or a trip with your exchange/international friends. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.