International Topics Speaker Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
International Topics Speaker Series
Location: Student Services Center Room W-201
The Forest Underground, Where Fungi Are Making Magic
Featuring Dr. Don Hemmes, Emeritus Professor of Biology, UH Hilo.
There’s a lot to see in the above ground forest, but often we don’t think of what’s happening underground, in the dark and hidden soil that supports the forest or in the inner recesses of the leaves, stems, and roots of the plants. It is in these hidden habitats that the fungi make a major contribution to the health of the forest. Sometimes these fungi morph into these incredible structures we call mushrooms. Life in the underground, including mycorrhizal interactions and in the leaves of plants, the endophytes, will be discussed.
Free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 935-7991
Tags: international biology
What's also happening?
Week of September 16, 2018Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.