Rent - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Due to the mature content and language in this production, it may not be suitable for all ages.
Book, Music & Lyrics by Jonathan Larson
Musical Arrangements, Steve Skinner; Original Concept/Additional Lyrics, Billy Aronson; Music Supervision & Additional Arrangements, Tim Weil; Dramaturg, Lynn Thomson
Directed by Justina Mattos
Musical Director Trever Veilleux
Choreography by Celeste Staton & Kea Kapahua
An inspiring musical about friends and artists struggling with addiction, poverty, AIDS and – most of all – love.
Set in the East Village of New York City, Rent is about falling in love, finding your voice and living for today. Winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, Rent, with songs that rock and a story that resonates with audiences of all ages, is loosely based on Puccini's La Boheme.
Rent follows a year in the life of a group of impoverished young artists and musicians struggling to survive and create in New York's Lower East Side, under the shadow of HIV/AIDS. The physical and emotional complications of the disease pervade the lives of Roger, Mimi, Tom and Angel. Maureen deals with her chronic infidelity through performance art; her partner, Joanne, wonders if their relationship is worth the trouble. Benny has sold out his Bohemian ideals in exchange for a hefty income and is on the outs with his former friends. Mark, an aspiring filmmaker, feels like an outsider to life in general. How these young bohemians negotiate their dreams, loves and conflicts provides the narrative thread to this groundbreaking musical. This is theatre at its best – exuberant, passionate and joyous.
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $20 General, $15 Discount, $7 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
At the Door: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
Available at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Box Office T-F 10am -2pm, call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
Single tickets go on sale September 18th.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of March 31, 2019Next →
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- Rotary Peace Fellowship
- Each year, Rotary awards two types of fellowships that fund some of the world’s most dedicated and brightest professionals to study at one of Rotary’s Peace Centers around the world. ...
- Mindfulness Meditation w/Michael
- Practicing Mindfulness offers ways to calm our mind and reduce stress, enabling us to enjoy life more fully. Hosted by Michael Donenfeld who has practiced meditation with and received training from Vietnamese poet and Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh.
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.