Rent - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Due to the mature content and language in this production, it may not be suitable for all ages.
Book, Music & Lyrics by Jonathan Larson
Musical Arrangements, Steve Skinner; Original Concept/Additional Lyrics, Billy Aronson; Music Supervision & Additional Arrangements, Tim Weil; Dramaturg, Lynn Thomson
Directed by Justina Mattos
Musical Director Trever Veilleux
Choreography by Celeste Staton & Kea Kapahua
An inspiring musical about friends and artists struggling with addiction, poverty, AIDS and – most of all – love.
Set in the East Village of New York City, Rent is about falling in love, finding your voice and living for today. Winner of the Tony Award for Best Musical and the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, Rent, with songs that rock and a story that resonates with audiences of all ages, is loosely based on Puccini's La Boheme.
Rent follows a year in the life of a group of impoverished young artists and musicians struggling to survive and create in New York's Lower East Side, under the shadow of HIV/AIDS. The physical and emotional complications of the disease pervade the lives of Roger, Mimi, Tom and Angel. Maureen deals with her chronic infidelity through performance art; her partner, Joanne, wonders if their relationship is worth the trouble. Benny has sold out his Bohemian ideals in exchange for a hefty income and is on the outs with his former friends. Mark, an aspiring filmmaker, feels like an outsider to life in general. How these young bohemians negotiate their dreams, loves and conflicts provides the narrative thread to this groundbreaking musical. This is theatre at its best – exuberant, passionate and joyous.
Special Restrictions: Advance Sales: $20 General, $15 Discount, $7 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
At the Door: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 UH Hilo/Hawaii CC Student/Child
Available at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Box Office T-F 10am -2pm, call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
Single tickets go on sale September 18th.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.