Public Lecture on Prison Ethics - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture on Prison Ethics
Location: STB 108
Dr. Joshua Miller, Director of Education at Georgetown University's Prison and Justice Initiative will ask:
Should We Turn Prisons into Colleges?
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2018
Location: STB 108
Many reformers--most recently Elizabeth Hinton in the New York Times--argue that prisons must include a substantial educational element in order to rehabilitate those we incarcerate. In this paper, I explore the underlying data on mass incarceration and the effects of education on recidivism alongside a conceptual exploration of theories of punishment. I will argue that college programs in prisons and jails present serious challenges to both our thinking about incarceration and our justifications and explanations for the value of higher education.
This event is open to the public!
This event is sponsored by the Departments of Philosophy, Sociology, the Pre-Law Certificate Program, the Hawaiʻi Island Philosophy Club and SAC
For more information about this event, please contact Dr. Celia Bardwell-Jones firstname.lastname@example.org or 932-7230.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7230
What's also happening?
Week of April 29, 2018Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.