Public Lecture on Prison Ethics - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture on Prison Ethics
Location: STB 108
Dr. Joshua Miller, Director of Education at Georgetown University's Prison and Justice Initiative will ask:
Should We Turn Prisons into Colleges?
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2018
Location: STB 108
Many reformers--most recently Elizabeth Hinton in the New York Times--argue that prisons must include a substantial educational element in order to rehabilitate those we incarcerate. In this paper, I explore the underlying data on mass incarceration and the effects of education on recidivism alongside a conceptual exploration of theories of punishment. I will argue that college programs in prisons and jails present serious challenges to both our thinking about incarceration and our justifications and explanations for the value of higher education.
This event is open to the public!
This event is sponsored by the Departments of Philosophy, Sociology, the Pre-Law Certificate Program, the Hawaiʻi Island Philosophy Club and SAC
For more information about this event, please contact Dr. Celia Bardwell-Jones firstname.lastname@example.org or 932-7230.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7230
What's also happening?
Week of April 29, 2018Next →
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Awards Nomination Now Open
- This recognition awards acknowledges the contributions students have made in their formal and informal leadership roles on campus and in their community. ...
- UHHSA Elections Applications
- The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association is keeping applications open for multiple positions for 2019/2020 academic school year. Applications are available on the UHHSA website, in the UHHSA office and in the Campus Center. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.