Free Public Lecture: Pandemics: Tracking Contagions, Cholera - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Free Public Lecture: Pandemics: Tracking Contagions, Cholera
Location: UCB 100
You are invited to a Free Public Lecture from an award winning investigative journalist, Sonia Shah (who happens to hold a BA in Philosophy). She has appeared on NPR and TED talks. Through the generous sponsorship of the SEED Ideas Grant, the Philosophy Department, the Hawaiʻi Island Philosophy Club, the Gender and Women's Studies Program, and AAUW-Hilo, we are very lucky to have her come and speak at our university.
Her talk centers around her new book entitled: Pandemics: Tracking Contagions, From Cholera to Ebola and Beyond
Abstract of Talk:
Over 300 infectious diseases have newly emerged or re-emerged in new territory over the past 50 years, and many epidemiologists expect that one of them will cause a disruptive, deadly pandemic sometime in the next two generations.
But which pathogen will cause the next pandemic? And how? Is there a unique impact to island communities? To answer this question, Shah tracks each stage of cholera’s dramatic journey from harmless microbe to world-changing pandemic, from its 1817 emergence in the South Asian hinterlands to its rapid dispersal across the 19th-century world and its latest beachhead in Haiti. She then describes the pathogens following in cholera’s footsteps, from Zika and Ebola to the never-before-seen killers emerging from China’s wet markets, the surgical wards of New Delhi, and the suburban backyards of the East Coast.
If you are working in areas of public health, medicine, and environmental science, Sonia Shah will provide a broad analysis that takes up interdisciplinary frameworks in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences in how to think about pandemics in our social life.
For more information, contact: Dr. Celia Bardwell-Jones, Chair & Associate Professor, Philosophy and Director of Gender and Women's Studies Program firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7230
What's also happening?
|Week of February 25, 2018||Next →|
- Freshmen 'Eleu (Mandatory Advising)
- Freshmen, your advisor will be sending you an email to set up an appointment to meet with him or her. Please check your email!
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the 2019-20 academic year, you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions ( VVP) is looking for new members!
- Aloha! Vulcan Video Productions (VVP) is looking for new members for the 2018-19 academic year. If you have some media based background, the following positions are available: Promotions Manager, Technology Manager, and Productions Manager. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Leader Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a Leader remember that the deadline to apply is October 5, 2018. ...
- Hilo Vet Center @ Campus Center for Outreach Services
- Maricar S. Souza, Veteran Outreach Specialist, from the Hilo Vet Center will be located at the Campus Center Plaza for Fall 2018 from 9 am - 2 pm on the following dates: October 9 October 30 November 13 November 27 December 4 You may ...
- Students of Hawaii Advanced Research Project (SHARP)
- Interested in biomedical or biobehavioral research? Join our Students of Hawai‘i Advanced Research Project team. Go to www.uhhilo-SHARP.org to discover how to get paid while learning.
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit
- Hawaii Community College and the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo will host the 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit with college students as the focus. The summit is on Friday, October 19, 2018 at ʻImiloa Astronomy Center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ...
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at firstname.lastname@example.org to join or for more information.
- Love Yourself: Body Wellness and ED Support Group
- Counseling Services is hosting a support group for students with body image concerns called "Love Yourself: Body Wellness and Eating Disorders. ...
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.