Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies
Location: Performing Arts Center
Acrobatic Contortions, Mistaken Identities, Adorable Lovers, Exhilarating Battles... Traditional Chinese Theatre Performed In English! Fun for all ages!
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s Department of Theatre + Dance proudly presents Fights & Delights: Three Chinese/Xiqu Comedies, co-directed by Elizabeth Wichmann-Walczak and Mark Branner. Highlighting the vibrancy of traditional Chinese theatre, the three plays celebrate the chou, or comic character, who continually reveals the laughter in life. The shows will be performed in English at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo Performing Arts Center and Kahilu Theatre.
Four master artists from China have been in residence with the UHM Department of Theatre + Dance since August 2017, teaching xiqu voice and movement as well as training the actors in their roles. Mr. Lu Genzhang, who performs laosheng (older male) roles, is a National Actor of the First (highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This will be Lu’s seventh residency at UHM training students to perform in Jingju plays. He teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the male-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Xu Mingchi, who performs chou roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and a Leading Actor with the Chuanju Company. This year marks his first teaching residency at UHM; he teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the roles in “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp.” Ms. Zhang Ling, who performs dan (young female) roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Ms. Zhang’s fourth residency training UHM students; she teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the female-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Zhang Xigui, a conductor and percussionist who is also proficient on a wide range of string and wind instruments, is a National Instrumentalist of the Second (second highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Instrumentalist with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Mr. Zhang’s fourth residency instructing UHM students; he teaches technique and interpretation for all the musical instruments (melodic and percussive) for all three plays.
The three Chinese comedies featured in Fights & Delights are: the chuanju; “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp,” and the two jingju; “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” “Treasure in the Chest” tells the story of a young woman who hides a young scholar in her family’s chest to protect him from two officers hot on his trail while her family is out trying to arrange a marriage for her. “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp” recounts the tale of a wife punishing her husband for his gambling problem by making him perform spectacular acrobatics while balancing a candle on his head. “Where Three Roads Meet” relates a story about the famous Chinese general, Jiao Zan, as he escapes capture by two officers at an inn where mistaken identities lead to a virtuoso fight in the dark between an inn keeper and a young warrior trying to protect Jiao Zan.
Special Restrictions: SUGGESTED DONATION:
Cash donations will be accepted one hour prior to the performance at each location.
For disability accommodations or large group requests please contact Melisa at (808) 956-2591 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 working days prior to the event.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 956-2591
What's also happening?
Week of February 25, 2018Next →
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Now Accepting Applications for Vulcan Video Productions
- Vulcan Video Production Position Vacancies Applications open: Feb 24 to Feb 28 Vulcan Video Productions, a program of the Board of Media Broadcasting has open positions for the Spring 2020 semester. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.