Creating Cultural Inclusion on Campus - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Creating Cultural Inclusion on Campus
Location: Campus Center 301
What are the obstacles to cultural inclusiveness and how do we overcome them? We know we're not racists, yet why do people of different races feel excluded or marginalized? How do institutional structures inscribe inequity based on identity? This workshop provides a framework for creating culturally inclusive environments where all feel welcome, no matter what their identity. We will discuss obstacles to inclusion that are specific to higher education and reflected within our larger society through explorations of implicit bias, cognitive errors, microaggressions, and identity-blindness. Most importantly, we will devise processes specific to our institutional/departmental needs that help us move toward creating inclusive spaces where everyone thrives. Participants are encouraged to bring their whole selves to the discussion as well as a commitment to becoming a more culturally inclusive educator.
Special Restrictions: This event is open to students, faculty, and staff.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7818
What's also happening?
Week of February 11, 2018Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.