Creating Cultural Inclusion on Campus - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Creating Cultural Inclusion on Campus
Location: Campus Center 301
What are the obstacles to cultural inclusiveness and how do we overcome them? We know we're not racists, yet why do people of different races feel excluded or marginalized? How do institutional structures inscribe inequity based on identity? This workshop provides a framework for creating culturally inclusive environments where all feel welcome, no matter what their identity. We will discuss obstacles to inclusion that are specific to higher education and reflected within our larger society through explorations of implicit bias, cognitive errors, microaggressions, and identity-blindness. Most importantly, we will devise processes specific to our institutional/departmental needs that help us move toward creating inclusive spaces where everyone thrives. Participants are encouraged to bring their whole selves to the discussion as well as a commitment to becoming a more culturally inclusive educator.
Special Restrictions: This event is open to students, faculty, and staff.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7818
What's also happening?
Week of February 11, 2018Next →
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.