Recreational Paddling, Section 2 - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Recreational Paddling, Section 2
Location: Hilo Bay Front
Learn the fundamentals of outrigger canoe paddling with Rosa Motta. Students will receive a basic orientation to proper paddling form and technique, complete safety assessments, learn the importance of teamwork, and build strength, stamina and rhythm. Proper care and handling of paddles and canoes are also integral parts of this class. Participants will be lifting and carrying canoes in and out of the water, and completing basic maintenance and care as part of the class. Please be prepared to share, encourage and support each other in this fun and challenging learning experience.
All levels of paddlers are welcome.
The UH Hilo Canoe Club Halau is located at Hilo Bayfront, next to the Puna Canoe Club. The canoes are red and white, and there is a red picnic table in front of the halau. There is ample parking available.
There is an outdoor shower and restroom on site. Note that class is dependent on water and weather conditions. Last minute cancellations may occur. Makeup classes are scheduled if possible.
September 6 - November 22, 2017, Wednesdays
Instructor: Rosa Motta
Rosa Motta began paddling at 12 years old and is the current President of the UH Hilo Canoe Club. She also trains competitively with the Puna Canoe Club. Rosa brings her passion for Hawaiian culture to her classes, and strives to enhance understanding and appreciation of waʻa (canoe) culture, while sharing history of our beautiful Hilo Bay.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $120
Recommended: Comfortable, water-appropriate clothing and footwear (water shoes), sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, towel, and water to drink.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of September 3, 2017Next →
Holiday observed: Labor Day
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Awards Nomination Now Open
- This recognition awards acknowledges the contributions students have made in their formal and informal leadership roles on campus and in their community. ...
- UHHSA Elections Applications
- The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association is keeping applications open for multiple positions for 2019/2020 academic school year. Applications are available on the UHHSA website, in the UHHSA office and in the Campus Center. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.