Recreational Paddling, Section 2 - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Recreational Paddling, Section 2
Location: Hilo Bay Front
Learn the fundamentals of outrigger canoe paddling with Rosa Motta. Students will receive a basic orientation to proper paddling form and technique, complete safety assessments, learn the importance of teamwork, and build strength, stamina and rhythm. Proper care and handling of paddles and canoes are also integral parts of this class. Participants will be lifting and carrying canoes in and out of the water, and completing basic maintenance and care as part of the class. Please be prepared to share, encourage and support each other in this fun and challenging learning experience.
All levels of paddlers are welcome.
The UH Hilo Canoe Club Halau is located at Hilo Bayfront, next to the Puna Canoe Club. The canoes are red and white, and there is a red picnic table in front of the halau. There is ample parking available.
There is an outdoor shower and restroom on site. Note that class is dependent on water and weather conditions. Last minute cancellations may occur. Makeup classes are scheduled if possible.
September 6 - November 22, 2017, Wednesdays
Instructor: Rosa Motta
Rosa Motta began paddling at 12 years old and is the current President of the UH Hilo Canoe Club. She also trains competitively with the Puna Canoe Club. Rosa brings her passion for Hawaiian culture to her classes, and strives to enhance understanding and appreciation of waʻa (canoe) culture, while sharing history of our beautiful Hilo Bay.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $120
Recommended: Comfortable, water-appropriate clothing and footwear (water shoes), sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, towel, and water to drink.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of September 3, 2017Next →
Holiday observed: Labor Day
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.