Japanese Taiko Drumming - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Japanese Taiko Drumming
Location: Old Gym
Learn about the art and spirit of taiko drumming from one of Hilo's best: Chad Nakagawa, current leader of Taishoji Taiko. Taiko drumming is both art and physical exercise. Be prepared for improving your fitness and coordination while learning about the culture, protocols, rhythm and technique. Two compositions will be taught in this session.
Required materials are provided.
September 11 - November 20, 2017, Mondays
Instructor: Chad Nakagawa
Chad Nakagawa is the Artistic Director of Taishoji Taiko, a local group in Hilo, Hawaii that was formed in the 1980s. With over 20 years of taiko experience, Chad has learned under the direction of Taiko masters such as Kenny Endo of the Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble, Marco Lienhard of Taikoza, Yoshikazu Fujimoto of Kodo, Seichi Tanaka of San Francisco Taiko Dojo, and many others.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $85
Required: Age 9 and up. No experience is necessary
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
|Week of September 10, 2017||Next →|
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2019-2020
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2019-2020 academic year. ...
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the academic year (2019-2020) you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaiʻi State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaiʻi Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.