Masters of the Currents - Event Details
Masters of the Currents
Location: Performing Arts Center
Calling upon the shared histories of refugees in Hawaii, Masters of the Currents serves as a creative bridge between new and old immigrant communities.
Lead artists Ova Saopeng and Leilani Chan, have created a performance project that uncovers the disconnections in the community, explores their underlying causes and opens an ongoing dialog that seeks sustained healing for a fractured community. They have been collecting stories from members of the Micronesian community through interviews, story circles and ensemble workshops. Community leaders, cultural bearers and educators across immigrant groups have come together to inform the “Masters of the Currents” theatre production.
What is happening in Hawai’i has happened before and is happening all over the world. The Micronesian community is literally following in the footsteps of the Southeast Asian community 40 years ago, replacing them as the new wave filling in the very same housing projects and public schools. The recent arrivals from Micronesia are faced with lack of support and misunderstanding of their plight. They are being blamed for seeking a better life. The community response, in general, is often unwelcoming or outright ignorant with calls for refugees to “go back to where they came from,” not realizing there is no place for them to return. For Micronesians, “going back” means returning to uninhabitable islands. This fear only makes the transition for new arrivals, already reeling from trauma, a much more difficult ordeal. This piece demonstrates the transformative power of theater to; create empathy, provide healing and inspiration, create exchange between different ethnic and racial groups and build compassion for each other as human beings.
“We believe the ocean does not separate us, it connects us.” - Innocenta Sound-Kikku
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating: Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 UHH/HCC Student/Child
At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UHH/HCC Student/Child
Please call the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center Box Office at 932-7490, Tuesday – Friday 10am-2pm or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7495
What's also happening?
|← Previous||Week of March 4, 2018||Next →|
- International Nights Tickets on Sale!
- Tickets for International Nights are now on sale! This annual event set for Friday, February 23 & Saturday, February 24 features performances from around the world. ...
- Campus and Community Service Book Drive
- Campus and Community Service, a Campus Center Fee Board program, is holding their 2nd annual Book Drive in conjunction with Read Across America. We are collecting children's books to donate to local elementary schools. ...
- Summer 2018 and Spring 2019 Study Abroad Application Due
- If you are considering studying abroad for Summer 2018 or Spring 2019, you need to submit your application by March 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application
- The 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application opened November 1, 2017. Go online to complete your application today and apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2018. ...
- Black History Month Events and Activities
- Black History Month (BHM) was established to recognize and celebrate the contributions of African Americans, and to remember profound African American leaders who have left behind a legacy that has inspired many. ...
- UHHSA RISO Funding Applications OPEN
- Calling all RISO Leaders! Just a reminder, the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is currently accepting RISO Funding Applications for Spring 2018. ...
- 2018-19 UH Hilo Student Association SPRING ELECTIONS
- Want to make an impact on campus? Become a leader in your student association! The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) looks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body and serves as a liaison between ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.