Maunakea Scholars Share Their Telescope Experience - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Maunakea Scholars Share Their Telescope Experience
The next scheduled program in the Maunakea Speaker Series will be held Thursday, June 15 from 7pm to 8pm at ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center’s Planetarium.
The Maunakea Scholars program, led by Canada-France-Hawai‘i Telescope (CFHT), is a partnership among the Maunakea Observatories, Hawai‘i State Department of Education, and University of Hawaiʻi. This innovative program is designed to bring aspiring young astronomers into the observatory community by awarding observing time on world-class telescopes to Hawaiʻi high school students so they can pursue research of their own design and inspiration.
The evening presentation will include two Maunakea Scholars from Honokaʻa High School, Hokulani Sanchez and Keilani Steele. These accomplished students used their telescope time on CFHT to observe dark nebulae and study the connection to star formations in our galaxy. CFHT Director Doug Simons and Outreach Manager Mary Beth Laychak will round out the presentation with details about the past, present and future of this unique education program.
The Maunakea Speaker Series is free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 933-0734
What's also happening?
Week of June 11, 2017Next →
Holiday observed: King Kamehameha I Day
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.