Keiki Summer Science Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Keiki Summer Science Series
Location: PB-7 Meeting Room
Keiki will explore, experiment, and experience the natural environment in fun ways in this week-long science series with sustainability educator, Ilana Stout. Using simple materials from around the house, students will learn basic science concepts that will reinforce classroom learning and inspire them for the upcoming school year.
Topics include: Experimenting in the Environment, Science Magic Tricks, Wonderful Water, Grocery Store Botany, and Caring for the ‘Aina.
Dates: July 31 - August 4, 2017, Monday to Friday, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Instructor: Ilana Stout
Instructor Bio: Ilana Stout is an sustainability educator and an avid gardener. She holds an bachelor's degree in Environmental Science from UC Berkeley, where she supervised the summer camp at the U.C. Botanical Garden for 2 years. Ilana has lived in Hawai'i since 2000, where she has worked both in conservation sciences and education. She is a licensed science teacher and taught at Kea'au High for 8 years. While at Kea'au, she established the student learning garden and completed the Kohala Center's Ku Aina Pa Garden Teacher Training Program. Ilana is currently a science lecturer at Hawaii Community College and is pursuing her Master's degree in Tropical Conservation Biology at UH Hilo.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $115
Class is for children ages 8-10 years old.
Required materials: Reusable water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, snack, and clothes/shoes that can get a little dirty.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of July 30, 2017Next →
- International Nights Tickets on Sale Now!
- Celebrate the cultural diversity at UH Hilo at the 45th annual International Nights! The shows will be on Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 at 7:30 pm at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.