Keiki Summer Science Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Keiki Summer Science Series
Location: PB-7 Meeting Room
Keiki will explore, experiment, and experience the natural environment in fun ways in this week-long science series with sustainability educator, Ilana Stout. Using simple materials from around the house, students will learn basic science concepts that will reinforce classroom learning and inspire them for the upcoming school year.
Topics include: Experimenting in the Environment, Science Magic Tricks, Wonderful Water, Grocery Store Botany, and Caring for the ‘Aina.
Dates: July 31 - August 4, 2017, Monday to Friday, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Instructor: Ilana Stout
Instructor Bio: Ilana Stout is an sustainability educator and an avid gardener. She holds an bachelor's degree in Environmental Science from UC Berkeley, where she supervised the summer camp at the U.C. Botanical Garden for 2 years. Ilana has lived in Hawai'i since 2000, where she has worked both in conservation sciences and education. She is a licensed science teacher and taught at Kea'au High for 8 years. While at Kea'au, she established the student learning garden and completed the Kohala Center's Ku Aina Pa Garden Teacher Training Program. Ilana is currently a science lecturer at Hawaii Community College and is pursuing her Master's degree in Tropical Conservation Biology at UH Hilo.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $115
Class is for children ages 8-10 years old.
Required materials: Reusable water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, snack, and clothes/shoes that can get a little dirty.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of July 30, 2017Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.