Keiki Summer Science Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Keiki Summer Science Series
Location: PB-7 Meeting Room
Keiki will explore, experiment, and experience the natural environment in fun ways in this week-long science series with sustainability educator, Ilana Stout. Using simple materials from around the house, students will learn basic science concepts that will reinforce classroom learning and inspire them for the upcoming school year.
Topics include: Experimenting in the Environment, Science Magic Tricks, Wonderful Water, Grocery Store Botany, and Caring for the ‘Aina.
Dates: July 31 - August 4, 2017, Monday to Friday, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Instructor: Ilana Stout
Instructor Bio: Ilana Stout is an sustainability educator and an avid gardener. She holds an bachelor's degree in Environmental Science from UC Berkeley, where she supervised the summer camp at the U.C. Botanical Garden for 2 years. Ilana has lived in Hawai'i since 2000, where she has worked both in conservation sciences and education. She is a licensed science teacher and taught at Kea'au High for 8 years. While at Kea'au, she established the student learning garden and completed the Kohala Center's Ku Aina Pa Garden Teacher Training Program. Ilana is currently a science lecturer at Hawaii Community College and is pursuing her Master's degree in Tropical Conservation Biology at UH Hilo.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $115
Class is for children ages 8-10 years old.
Required materials: Reusable water bottle, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, snack, and clothes/shoes that can get a little dirty.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of July 30, 2017Next →
- Time Change for Vinyasa Yoga Class at Student Life Center
- Come challenge yourself and relax deeply with a Vinyasa Flow Yoga class at the Student Life Center! New times offered: Mondays and Fridays at 6 pm. Wednesday's class will continue to be at 7 pm.
- Fall submission now open: 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting fall submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Fall submissions are open now till December 12th. ...
- Board of Media Broadcasting Positions Open
- The Board of Media Broadcasting is seeking students who are interested in getting more involved on campus and who are passionate about digital media particularly radio and video. ...
- Planning CoBE summer classes now: please take the survey
- Do you want to take a class in Sustainable Tourism for Hawaii and the Pacific? Social Media Analytics? Strategic Innovation? Retail Management? The College of Business and Economics is scheduling summer courses now. ...
- 13th Annual Korea-America Student Conference
- The 13th Korea-America Student Conference (KASC) will bring together Korean and American university students from a variety of academic disciplines to live, travel, and conduct original peer-reviewed research together. ...
- APIA Scholarship
- This scholarship is offered by the Asian and Pacific Islander American Foundation (APIA). Undergraduate students who are Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity and are US citizens, US nationals or permanent residents are eligible (students ...
- Submissions for Kanilehua Are Now Open
- Kanilehua is now accepting submissions of visual art (photography, drawing, painting, sculpture) and literature (short story, poetry, flash fiction, plays) for its Spring 2020 issue. ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.