The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat
Location: The Kitchen, 615 Haihai Street
Join Dean Shigeoka, co-founder of The Kitchen, for two half-days learning the how to’s of meat dressing, salting, corning and aging. You’ll get an introduction to the craft of charcuterie, as you make sausage and porchetta as well as corning your own beef. You’ll feast on delicious samples and still have plenty of meat left over to take home. Each student will get hands-on experience and instruction, leaving with the basic skills needed to start experimenting with home butchery and charcuterie.
April 8 & 22, 2017, Saturdays
At the tender age of 15, Chef Dean Shigeoka began his culinary journey by working at Dotty’s Coffee Shop, first as a dishwasher, then as a fry cook. After graduating from Waiakea High School, he entered the Culinary Program at Kapiolani Community College. This led to apprenticing under Pacific Rim chef, Sam Choy, where Chef Dean was inspired to start AJ & Sons Catering in 2008. He has traveled to Italy, Bali, Japan, and many parts of the continental U.S. At each location, he has learned much about the food and culture of the area and enjoys sharing his experience and love of food through teaching and catering for locals and visitors alike.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $80.00
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
|← Previous||Week of April 2, 2017||Next →|
TBD Women's Golf
TBD Women's Golf
TBD Women's Golf
- LGBTQIA+ Support Group
- LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. Group meets once a week for 1 hour throughout the semester. ...
- Support Group for Students with Disabilties
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric, or other disabilities. ...
- RISO Registration Form now Available
- Attention UH Hilo Students: The CCS office is now accepting RISO registration forms for the 2016-2017 school year. For more information or to view the application and requirements please visit the RISO webpage: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Career Connections
- The Career and Academic Advising Center is hosting a series of information sessions called Career Connections this spring semester. These sessions will feature businesses and employers and allow students to interact in a more intimate setting. ...
- 2017 UH Hilo Annual Spring Food Drive
- The UH Hilo 2017 Annual Spring Food Drive is done in culmination with the State Food Drive. Please help us end hunger in Hawai`i. All of your donations, food or monetary, will stay right here to help Big Island residents. In 2016 alone 1. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
- Volunteers Needed!
- Campus and Community Service(CCS) is a Campus Center program that provides an educational approach to foster civic responsibility and engagement through active participation in organized service that meets community needs. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.