The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat
Location: The Kitchen, 615 Haihai Street
Join Dean Shigeoka, co-founder of The Kitchen, for two half-days learning the how to’s of meat dressing, salting, corning and aging. You’ll get an introduction to the craft of charcuterie, as you make sausage and porchetta as well as corning your own beef. You’ll feast on delicious samples and still have plenty of meat left over to take home. Each student will get hands-on experience and instruction, leaving with the basic skills needed to start experimenting with home butchery and charcuterie.
April 8 & 22, 2017, Saturdays
At the tender age of 15, Chef Dean Shigeoka began his culinary journey by working at Dotty’s Coffee Shop, first as a dishwasher, then as a fry cook. After graduating from Waiakea High School, he entered the Culinary Program at Kapiolani Community College. This led to apprenticing under Pacific Rim chef, Sam Choy, where Chef Dean was inspired to start AJ & Sons Catering in 2008. He has traveled to Italy, Bali, Japan, and many parts of the continental U.S. At each location, he has learned much about the food and culture of the area and enjoys sharing his experience and love of food through teaching and catering for locals and visitors alike.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $80.00
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of April 2, 2017Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.