The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Art of Butchering and Curing Meat
Location: The Kitchen, 615 Haihai Street
Join Dean Shigeoka, co-founder of The Kitchen, for two half-days learning the how to’s of meat dressing, salting, corning and aging. You’ll get an introduction to the craft of charcuterie, as you make sausage and porchetta as well as corning your own beef. You’ll feast on delicious samples and still have plenty of meat left over to take home. Each student will get hands-on experience and instruction, leaving with the basic skills needed to start experimenting with home butchery and charcuterie.
April 8 & 22, 2017, Saturdays
At the tender age of 15, Chef Dean Shigeoka began his culinary journey by working at Dotty’s Coffee Shop, first as a dishwasher, then as a fry cook. After graduating from Waiakea High School, he entered the Culinary Program at Kapiolani Community College. This led to apprenticing under Pacific Rim chef, Sam Choy, where Chef Dean was inspired to start AJ & Sons Catering in 2008. He has traveled to Italy, Bali, Japan, and many parts of the continental U.S. At each location, he has learned much about the food and culture of the area and enjoys sharing his experience and love of food through teaching and catering for locals and visitors alike.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $80.00
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of April 2, 2017Next →
- Miniature Art: Magnets
- Create quick and satisfying miniature works of art and then transform them into functional gifts! Students will learn basic drawing, coloring, collaging, and painting techniques, then create different styles of magnets. ...
- Hohonu Editor Positions are Open
- Hohonu, UH Hilo's academic magazine, is now accepting general editor applications. Pick up an application form to apply in Campus Center room 210. Must be a UH Hilo student registered in six credits, a minimum 2. ...
- Kanilehua Positions are Open
- Kanilehua, UH Hilo's Art & Literary Magazine is now accepting applications for its Art Editor, Literary Editor, and Layout Designer positions. Pick up a form in Campus Center Room 210 to apply.
- Samoan Club Seeks Members
- Tupulaga O Samoa Mo A Taeao, the Samoan club welcomes any students who are interested in the Samoan culture to join our club! If you're interested, submit a membership form at ...
- APIA AANAPISI Scholarship
- The Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) Scholarship Program is administered by the Asian and Pacific Islander American Foundation (APIA). ...
- Frank Zappa Design Contest
- The Student Arts Association presents the Frank Zappa Design Contest. This contest is open to anyone, not just students. The winner will receive a **$150 cash prize**. ...
- Art for Keiki: A Holiday Gift
- Students will learn techniques for creating beautiful, personalized works of art on wood. Choosing brushes, blending colors, preparing the surface, as well as basic painting approaches will be covered. ...
- Miniature Art: Tiles
- Create quick and satisfying miniature works of art and then transform them into functional gifts! Students will learn basic painting and collaging techniques to create beautiful, personalized tiles that can be used as accents in the home, ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2020 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend 8-to-10 weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- Time Change for Vinyasa Yoga Class at Student Life Center
- Come challenge yourself and relax deeply with a Vinyasa Flow Yoga class at the Student Life Center! New times offered: Mondays and Fridays at 6 pm. Wednesday's class will continue to be at 7 pm.
- Planning CoBE summer classes now: please take the survey
- Do you want to take a class in Sustainable Tourism for Hawaii and the Pacific? Social Media Analytics? Strategic Innovation? Retail Management? The College of Business and Economics is scheduling summer courses now. ...
- 13th Annual Korea-America Student Conference
- The 13th Korea-America Student Conference (KASC) will bring together Korean and American university students from a variety of academic disciplines to live, travel, and conduct original peer-reviewed research together. ...
- APIA Scholarship
- This scholarship is offered by the Asian and Pacific Islander American Foundation (APIA). Undergraduate students who are Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity and are US citizens, US nationals or permanent residents are eligible (students ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Postions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.