Managing Food Waste by Vermicomposting - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Managing Food Waste by Vermicomposting
Location: Campus Center 301
Over the past two decades, the use of earthworms to degrade organic wastes--referred to as vermicomposting--offered alternative and innovative methods of managing a variety of organic wastes such as animal manures, shredded cardboard and industrial wastes. One of the waste streams that are still currently underutilized and can generate potential value-added soil organic amendments are food wastes. Unlike animal manures or other industrial organic wastes, food wastes pose challenges for vermicomposting owing to their inconsistent composition, high moisture content and irregular sizes. These characteristics required careful considerations for vermicomposting in order to process food wastes successfully and
consequently produce high quality soil organic amendments for horticulture.
Several methods of vermicomposting that has proven to be effective in processing food wastes ranges from simple and low technology systems such as windrows to complex and high input systems such as automated continuous flow digesters. Working prototypes of these systems will be discussed with special consideration to processing food wastes.
Co-spoonsored by the United Nations Association-USA Hawaii Island Chapter and the UH Hilo International Student Services & Intercultural Education program. Free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: Rosemarie Muller firstname.lastname@example.org
What's also happening?
|Week of November 13, 2016||Next →|
TBD Men's Basketball
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- All those INTERESTED in getting INVOLVED! Relay For Life is recruiting committee members! Relay For Life is the only all night event on campus during the Spring semester. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.