Managing Food Waste by Vermicomposting - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Managing Food Waste by Vermicomposting
Location: Campus Center 301
Over the past two decades, the use of earthworms to degrade organic wastes--referred to as vermicomposting--offered alternative and innovative methods of managing a variety of organic wastes such as animal manures, shredded cardboard and industrial wastes. One of the waste streams that are still currently underutilized and can generate potential value-added soil organic amendments are food wastes. Unlike animal manures or other industrial organic wastes, food wastes pose challenges for vermicomposting owing to their inconsistent composition, high moisture content and irregular sizes. These characteristics required careful considerations for vermicomposting in order to process food wastes successfully and
consequently produce high quality soil organic amendments for horticulture.
Several methods of vermicomposting that has proven to be effective in processing food wastes ranges from simple and low technology systems such as windrows to complex and high input systems such as automated continuous flow digesters. Working prototypes of these systems will be discussed with special consideration to processing food wastes.
Co-spoonsored by the United Nations Association-USA Hawaii Island Chapter and the UH Hilo International Student Services & Intercultural Education program. Free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: Rosemarie Muller email@example.com
What's also happening?
Week of November 13, 2016Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.