Harana Film Screening - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Harana Film Screening
Location: Science Building Tech. BLDG (108)
This movie features Florante Aguilar, a classical guitarist, who returns to the Philippines after the death of his father. He rediscovers the long forgotten tradition of Filipino serenading. Florante is one of the leading figures championing Philippine music arts forms in the U.S. and abroad today. He studied at the Manhattan School of Music and received a degree from the San Francisco Conservatory for Music. Fides Enriquez, the Executive Producer, is an ethnographer, photographer, film documentatarian living in the San Francisco Bay area.
Harana is the traditional form of courtship in the Philippines. It was widely practiced in the past, with a set of protocols, a code of conduct and a specific style of music. Florante traveled to remote provinces where he discovers three surviving practitioners of harana. Although this practice was widely known in the Philippines, there is little documented history.
This event is sponsored by the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Filipino American Heritage Month (FAHM) Committee, Filipino Studies Program, Minority Access & Achievement Program, Bayanihan Club, County of Hawaiʻi Council, and the Kalani Retreat Center.
For more information contact 932-7461. For accommodations contact the Disability Services Office: 932-7623 (Voice) or 932-7001 (TTY).
P.S: Snacks will be provided prior to the film.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7463
What's also happening?
Week of October 16, 2016Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.