Compagnie Hervé Koubi ~ What the Day Owes to the Night - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Compagnie Hervé Koubi ~ What the Day Owes to the Night
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Hervé Koubi grew up in the South of France where he studied both biology and dance at the University of Aix-en- Provence before graduating as a Pharmaceutical Doctor. After deciding to concentrate on a dancing career and graduating from the world-renowned Rosella Hightower School of Dance in Cannes, Koubi gained professional experience as a dancer with the Opera de Marseille.
Since then, he has developed many contemporary dance projects in collaboration with various artists, writers, choreographers and musicians from the world over. His latest major choreographic work is entitled What the Day Owes to the Night and is inspired by his own personal journey and discovery of his Algerian heritage. His all male cast of dancers has toured extensively around the world before debuting the full length production in the United States in October 2015. Since then it has received numerous standing ovations and acclaim for its incredible physicality, powerful imagery and inspired choreography. Utilizing urban and contemporary dance movements, capoeira, and martial arts to bring the piece to life, dancers literally defy gravity and take the audience’s collective breath away.
“No momentum was necessary, as if…there was no such thing as physics” The Washington Post
“There was a mesmerizingly fluid strength in their low-skimming flight and slow tumbling, and whistles were replaced by gasps as one man after another ran up the backs of his fellows to leap or fall backward or be tossed shockingly high into the air.” The New York Times
The presentation of What the Day Owes to the Night was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, with additional support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
For disability accommodations, please contact Dori Yamada at (808) 932-7496 (V) or (808) 933-3334 (TTY) at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating: Advance Sales: $30 General, $25 Discount, $15 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under. At the Door: $35 General, $30 Discount, $20 UH Hilo/HCC Student/Child
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award Nominations Now Open
- The 2021 Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award nominations are now open. Please submit your nominations no later than March 9, 2021, at 11:59 pm (This is a hard deadline, there will be no exceptions). ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- Freshman ʻEleu (Spring 2021)
- Attention freshmen, if you began at UH Hilo in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, it's time to meet with your advisor for your mandatory Freshman ʻEleu appointment. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition
- The online **Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition** is now open! All mediums (_drawing, painting, #D objects, videos, sculptures, ceramics, mixed media, etc._) accepted. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a - UH Hilo student in good academic standing, - Have a minimum GPA of 2.0, - And must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- Student Activities Council (SAC) Open Positions - Apply Now!
- SAC Applications are open. The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2021 Relay for Life. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.