The Ghosts of Hiroshima - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Ghosts of Hiroshima
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
By Deborah Lubar with Diane Wickes Roose
Directed by Jackie Pualani Johnson
“…..just like shadows. The shock was so great they had lost words, they could not speak; everyone was very, very quiet. Even the children did not cry. Silence”. - Miss Shibama
The words of survivors of the bombing of Hiroshima are framed against the hard facts about nuclear weapons in this stirring theatrical consideration of the effects of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, killing 146,000 people.
“When I look at children, I pledge that I must help to rid the world of nuclear weapons. Indeed, this is my only remaining wish.” - Miss Shibama
Images, words, science, and poetry interweave through the repercussions of the bombing, allowing all to understand the scale and impact of nuclear weaponry. The theatrical conventions of movement, dance, and masks allow the ideas to be considered in a startling, revealing manner.
The Performing Arts Department presents this landmark offering as an ode to the times and temperaments found in today’s global landscape. At the heart of the production is the consideration of the human costs of war.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are open seating $12 General, $10 Discount, $5 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under.
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
|Week of November 13, 2016||Next →|
TBD Men's Basketball
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Apply for the APIASF AANAPISI scholarship! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $5,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo New Student Survey by NSP
- Aloha to all our newest Vulcans! Each year, the New Student Programs (NSP) office seeks feedback from the students to better its events and services. ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2018 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend eight to ten weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. ...
- ASD Student Support Group
- ASD Student Support Group The ASD Support Group is for students who are part of the Autism Spectrum community. The purpose of the group is for members to get support from others in a safe, confidential setting. ...
- Fall 2017 Support Groups
- Counseling Services Present: Fall 2017 Counseling & Support Groups All UH Hilo students are welcome! There is no charge for our services. All services respect your privacy and confidentiality. ...
- Support for Students with Disabilities Group
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric or other disabilities. ...
- Women's Support Group
- The UH Hilo Counseling Center Women's Support Group, is for female students that are seeking to provide and receive support from other like-minded women, please join us for a time of healing, sharing and empowerment. ...
- New to UH Hilo Support Group
- Transitioning to Campus Life can be difficult. Students new to the University of Hawaii at Hilo are invited to join us for a time to connect, share and get support in your new journey. ...
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Program at Campus Center introduces the Student Leadership Series with a Certificate of Leadership for UH Hilo students who complete and attend 7+ leadership trainings. ...
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF General Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.