Martha Redbone presents Bone Hill - The Concert - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Martha Redbone presents Bone Hill - The Concert
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Martha Redbone presents Bone Hill - The Concert
Music and lyrics by Martha Redbone and Aaron Whitby
Written by Martha Redbone, Roberta Uno and Aaron Whitby
In Bone Hill – the Concert, 2 singer/actors and 6 musicians become the characters from four generations of of women in a Cherokee family living high on a mountain top in Appalachia. In telling their stories Ms. Redbone travels back in time to her own childhood and beyond into the memories and tales of her ancestors, taking the audience on an epic, unexpected American exploration of family, history, and identity. It is a story about the family’s connection to the land – the simplicity and sacredness of that connection and the ruptures that threaten to extinguish it.
The story is told in a narrative style driven by songs that span a swathe of American music from traditional Cherokee chants and lullabies to bluegrass, blues, country, gospel, jazz, rock & roll, R-n-B, and funk. The music is radically wide ranging, the story is simply radical.
“It isn’t tripped up by uncomfortable truths and unresolved conflicts…(Bone Hill – The Concert) asks with a coy wink and a stern stare: “What is native to American music?” – Larry Blumenfeld, contributor to The Wall Street Journal
Originally commissioned by NY Voices/Joe's Pub and The Public Theater, Co-commissioners Lincoln Center for the Arts, Miami Light Project, Pa'i Foundation, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
Supported by grants from NEFA NTP and NPN Creation Fund.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under or At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UH Hilo/HCC Student/Child
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of October 23, 2016Next →
- International Nights Tickets on Sale Now!
- Celebrate the cultural diversity at UH Hilo at the 45th annual International Nights! The shows will be on Friday, February 21 and Saturday, February 22 at 7:30 pm at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- Apply for the 2020-2021 UHHSA Student Election
- Interested in becoming a student leader? Apply for the 2020-2021 University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) student election! The UHHSA senate seeks to accurately represent the views of the entire student body. ...
- Summer Study Abroad Programs
- Why not spend your summer abroad in Europe, Asia or South America? UH Hilo has opportunities available with Univesities in Brazil, China, France, Hungary, Japan, Scotland, and South Korea. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline: March 1
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for Spring 2021, please submit your application by March 1, 2020. Applications are available at: ...
- 2020-21 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2020-21 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2019. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2020! Deadline for ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2020 Relay for Life event as well as multiple awareness events over this school year. ...
- Mandatory Advising (Freshmen 'Eleu)
- Freshmen, mandatory advising is starting soon. You are required to meet with your advisor. Please check your UH email to set up an appointment today. ...
- 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition Submissions Now Open
- The Student Arts Association is now accepting Spring Submissions for the 2020 Juried Student Art Exhibition. Spring Submissions are open now till March 27th. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: ...
- HAPA (Hawaii Association of Public Accountants) Scholarships
- HAPA’s Big Island Chapter provides up to $3,500 in awards to accounting scholars and future accountants each year. ...
- 2020-21 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2019, students can complete their 2020-21 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2020. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.