Christopher K. Morgan and Artists present PŌHAKU - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Christopher K. Morgan and Artists present PŌHAKU
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Choreographer Christopher Kauʻi Morgan longed to connect his Native Hawaiian artistic and personal roots to his contemporary work. Pōhaku is a dance theater piece bringing together storytelling, hula, modern dance, classical music, and projection design to explore compelling universal themes in the story of Hawaii’s native people, including land loss and fractured identity. The work incorporates Morgan’s own stories to reflect these larger themes. Pōhaku is partly inspired by Morgan’s late cousin, Kumu Hula John Kaimikaua (1957-2006). This evening length solo dance performed by Morgan, features live music by Kumu Hula Elsie Kaleihulukea Ryder of Kaimikaua’s Hālau Hula o Kukunaokalā, and classically trained electric cellist Wytold.
“A vast range of conceptual beauty…that inspires conversation long after you leave the room.” – Breena Seigel, DC Metro Theatre Arts
The presentation of Pōhaku was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, with additional support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Pōhaku is a National Performance Network (NPN) Creation Fund Project co-commissioned by Maui Arts & Cultural Center in partnership with Dance Place and NPN. For more information: www.npnweb.org.
Production residency funded by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under or At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UH Hilo/HCC Student/Child
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award Nominations Now Open
- The 2021 Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Award nominations are now open. Please submit your nominations no later than March 9, 2021, at 11:59 pm (This is a hard deadline, there will be no exceptions). ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- Freshman ʻEleu (Spring 2021)
- Attention freshmen, if you began at UH Hilo in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, it's time to meet with your advisor for your mandatory Freshman ʻEleu appointment. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition
- The online **Spring 2021 Annual Juried Student Art Exhibition** is now open! All mediums (_drawing, painting, #D objects, videos, sculptures, ceramics, mixed media, etc._) accepted. ...
- BOSP Secretary Open Position
- Open Position with the Board of Student Publications! Secretary Applicant Must be a - UH Hilo student in good academic standing, - Have a minimum GPA of 2.0, - And must be enrolled in at least six credits. ...
- Student Activities Council (SAC) Open Positions - Apply Now!
- SAC Applications are open. The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- UH Hilo Relay for Life Committee Positions Open
- The UH Hilo Relay for Life Planning Committee is currently seeking dedicated students who are interested in volunteering to help plan the 2021 Relay for Life. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Care Packages
- Aloha students! We at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) know how difficult this academic year has been! For students who have had a tough time getting to campus, and for students who have had a tough time having ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
- Student Arts Association Zoom Meetings (updated info)
- Inviting all interested students to join our weekly Zoom call. This is a chance to meet your fellow creative students, find out about UH Hilo's Spring Student Art Show, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.