Christopher K. Morgan and Artists present PŌHAKU - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Christopher K. Morgan and Artists present PŌHAKU
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Choreographer Christopher Kauʻi Morgan longed to connect his Native Hawaiian artistic and personal roots to his contemporary work. Pōhaku is a dance theater piece bringing together storytelling, hula, modern dance, classical music, and projection design to explore compelling universal themes in the story of Hawaii’s native people, including land loss and fractured identity. The work incorporates Morgan’s own stories to reflect these larger themes. Pōhaku is partly inspired by Morgan’s late cousin, Kumu Hula John Kaimikaua (1957-2006). This evening length solo dance performed by Morgan, features live music by Kumu Hula Elsie Kaleihulukea Ryder of Kaimikaua’s Hālau Hula o Kukunaokalā, and classically trained electric cellist Wytold.
“A vast range of conceptual beauty…that inspires conversation long after you leave the room.” – Breena Seigel, DC Metro Theatre Arts
The presentation of Pōhaku was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, with additional support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Pōhaku is a National Performance Network (NPN) Creation Fund Project co-commissioned by Maui Arts & Cultural Center in partnership with Dance Place and NPN. For more information: www.npnweb.org.
Production residency funded by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under or At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UH Hilo/HCC Student/Child
Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of October 23, 2016Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.