Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: 2015 review - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: 2015 review
Location: UCB 100
Kīlauea Volcano's East Rift and summit eruptions: Events of the past year
Free Public Talk for Volcano Awareness Month
Kīlauea has been erupting nearly continuously since 1983, when a vent, now called Pu‘u ‘Ō‘ō, opened on the volcano’s East Rift Zone. Then, in 2008, a second vent opened at the summit of Kīlauea within Halema‘uma‘u Crater.
Both eruptions continue today. Join Matt Patrick, a geologist with the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, as he briefly describes the history of these two eruptions and provides in-depth accounts of volcanic activity during the past year, including the ongoing East Rift Zone lava flow that threatened the community of Pāhoa until March 2015 and the overflow of the summit lava lake in April-May 2015.
A printable flyer of the event can be found at hvo.wr.usgs.gov/archive/2016VAMTalks_UHH.pdf
For more information, contact: askHVO@usgs.gov (808) 967-8844
What's also happening?
Week of January 3, 2016Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.