The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)
Location: UCB 100
Presentation on innovative new course integrating art and UH Hilo’s Scanning Electron Microscope, Dec. 9 [Free Public Talk]
Colleen Cannon-Karlos, lecturer in the art department, and Jason Adolf, associate professor of marine science will present 'The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)' on Wednesday, Dec. 9th, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This presentation will be held at the University Classroom Building, room 100, on the UH Hilo campus.
Art students at UH Hilo participated in a science course last fall using the university’s Scanning Electron Microscope. A Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), which can magnify objects up to about 300,000 times the size of the object, reveals the fantastic topography of a specimen so highly resolved that it shows the microscopic structure in incredible detail unavailable to the naked eye or even light microscopes. The resulting imagery is beautiful, provocative and awe-inspiring—a perfect blending of art and science.
Working with this technology, art students at UH Hilo participated in a science course last fall using the university’s Scanning Electron Microscope. Students prepared and scanned specimens using the SEM, the imagery was then digitally dissected, merged, and reconfigured, and then used as design elements in an art project using Photoshop.
At the Dec. 9 lecture, Adolf and Cannon-Karlos will present the project and the students’ work.
Read more at hilo.hawaii.edu/news/stories/2015/11/23/presentation-on-innovative-new-course-sem/
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of December 6, 2015Next →
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Awards Nomination Now Open
- This recognition awards acknowledges the contributions students have made in their formal and informal leadership roles on campus and in their community. ...
- UHHSA Elections Applications
- The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Student Association is keeping applications open for multiple positions for 2019/2020 academic school year. Applications are available on the UHHSA website, in the UHHSA office and in the Campus Center. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.