The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)
Location: UCB 100
Presentation on innovative new course integrating art and UH Hilo’s Scanning Electron Microscope, Dec. 9 [Free Public Talk]
Colleen Cannon-Karlos, lecturer in the art department, and Jason Adolf, associate professor of marine science will present 'The Art and Science of the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)' on Wednesday, Dec. 9th, from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. This presentation will be held at the University Classroom Building, room 100, on the UH Hilo campus.
Art students at UH Hilo participated in a science course last fall using the university’s Scanning Electron Microscope. A Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM), which can magnify objects up to about 300,000 times the size of the object, reveals the fantastic topography of a specimen so highly resolved that it shows the microscopic structure in incredible detail unavailable to the naked eye or even light microscopes. The resulting imagery is beautiful, provocative and awe-inspiring—a perfect blending of art and science.
Working with this technology, art students at UH Hilo participated in a science course last fall using the university’s Scanning Electron Microscope. Students prepared and scanned specimens using the SEM, the imagery was then digitally dissected, merged, and reconfigured, and then used as design elements in an art project using Photoshop.
At the Dec. 9 lecture, Adolf and Cannon-Karlos will present the project and the students’ work.
Read more at hilo.hawaii.edu/news/stories/2015/11/23/presentation-on-innovative-new-course-sem/
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of December 6, 2015Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.