English Brown Bag Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
English Brown Bag Lecture Series
Location: Campus Center, Room 306
The English Brown Bag lecture series hosts discussions on writing and literature. Jennifer Orme, PhD, will discuss some of the ways feminist, lesbian/gay, and queer approaches are distinct from each other and demonstrate their relations and differences through three close readings of one Cinderella revision: Babette Cole’s 1987 picture book, Prince Cinders. The first reading sees the book as a response to the feminist fairy-tale debates that were happening at the time of its publication. The second takes a lesbian/gay literary critical position that grows out of feminist concerns and examines assumptions about the relationships between gender and sexual identity and the coding of homosexuality in the text. The third interpretation proposes a queer reading that focuses less on character representation and more upon the destabilizing potential of internal textual contradictions that adhere to the ostensible aims of the book itself.
Special Restrictions: Open to the HawCC and UH Hilo communities
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-932-7226
What's also happening?
Week of September 20, 2015Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.