Public Lecture: What’s the scoop on the poop? - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture: What’s the scoop on the poop?
Location: UCB 100
What’s the scoop on the poop? Sewage pollution in Hawai‘i Island drinking and coastal waters
by Dr. Tracy Wiegner and Dr. Steven Colbert
Hawai‘i is regarded as a tropical paradise, with clear blue waters, coral reefs, and cascading waterfalls. However, below the surface lies a dirty little secret. Hawaiian waters have long suffered from chronic sewage pollution ranging from direct disposal in water bodies, to leaking outfalls, injection wells, cesspools, and septic systems. Sewage pollution poses not only a threat to the health of recreational water users, but to coastal ecosystems. This talk will provide information on sewage pollution impacts to human health, as well as the health of the coastal waters and coral reefs, how sewage is detected, and its presence in Hawai‘i Island drinking and coastal waters. There are many options for wastewater treatment and disposal, and solutions should consider community values, geography, political and regulatory constraints.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 808-974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of September 13, 2015Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.