The Universe in Absorption - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Universe in Absorption
Location: UH Hilo Campus UCB 127 (Fishbowl)
It is often said, "all astronomers have is light to study the universe," because astronomical objects can't be studied in the lab.
This presentation focuses on how astronomers can even learn from the absence of light! As light from bright, distant objects traverse the universe, intervening gas clouds—between, around, and in galaxies—absorb the light at wavelengths characteristic, albeit redshifted, of the chemical elements in the clouds.
By identifying and modeling the elements associated with absorption-line systems, we learn about how gas is processed through and dispersed from galaxies over cosmic time.
Department of Physics and Astronomy, UH Hilo
Kathy Cooksey, an assistant professor in astronomy, received her Ph.D. in 2009 from University of California Santa Cruz and was an NSF Postdoctoral Fellow at MIT until starting at UH Hilo in January 2014; both institutions enabled her to learn about science pedagogy and practice teaching. She researches the large-scale gaseous structure in the universe to understand how various elements cycle in and out of galaxies, over cosmic time. She enjoys soccer, hiking, and camping—and crocheting and watching anime, on the sedentary side.
For more information, call CCECS at 974-7664
For disability accommodation,
call 974-7664 (V) , 974-7002 (TTY) by 7/3/15
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of July 12, 2015Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.