Public Lecture on Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture on Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint
Location: UCB 100
Mapping Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint: Emerging Trends in Hawaii's Rural Landscape
The State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture contracted UH Hilo to produce current maps of Hawaii's agricultural footprint. The Agricultural Baseline 2015 will expand on the award winning "Hawaii County Food Self-Sufficiency Baseline" that mapped the digital footprint of agriculture on Hawaii Island in 2012 and will shed new light on the many forms that post-plantation agriculture presents statewide. The study will provide a baseline from which to measure our progress going forward and can be used as a planning tool to help shape new policies and improve our understanding of where we farm today and why.
This presentation will share:
- Preliminary results of the mapping effort
- Important observations about what drives agricultural land use around the state
- Discussion about Hawaii's emergent rural landscape
- Realities that underlie our quest for increased food self-reliance
Presented by the University of Hawaii at Hilo Faculty Congress and the College of Continuing Education and Community Service
Presenter: Jeff Melrose
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences, UH Hilo
Jeffrey Melrose is a land planner with over 30 years of experience in private sector planning and land management throughout rural Hawaii. He holds a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning from the UH Manoa and a Certificate in Pacific Island Studies from the East West Center. He teaches Introduction to Land Use Planning in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies and is currently the Project Manager for a UH Hilo contract with the Department of Agriculture to produce a current digital map of Hawaii's statewide agricultural footprint
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of May 17, 2015Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.