Public Lecture on Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture on Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint
Location: UCB 100
Mapping Hawaii's Agricultural Footprint: Emerging Trends in Hawaii's Rural Landscape
The State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture contracted UH Hilo to produce current maps of Hawaii's agricultural footprint. The Agricultural Baseline 2015 will expand on the award winning "Hawaii County Food Self-Sufficiency Baseline" that mapped the digital footprint of agriculture on Hawaii Island in 2012 and will shed new light on the many forms that post-plantation agriculture presents statewide. The study will provide a baseline from which to measure our progress going forward and can be used as a planning tool to help shape new policies and improve our understanding of where we farm today and why.
This presentation will share:
- Preliminary results of the mapping effort
- Important observations about what drives agricultural land use around the state
- Discussion about Hawaii's emergent rural landscape
- Realities that underlie our quest for increased food self-reliance
Presented by the University of Hawaii at Hilo Faculty Congress and the College of Continuing Education and Community Service
Presenter: Jeff Melrose
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences, UH Hilo
Jeffrey Melrose is a land planner with over 30 years of experience in private sector planning and land management throughout rural Hawaii. He holds a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning from the UH Manoa and a Certificate in Pacific Island Studies from the East West Center. He teaches Introduction to Land Use Planning in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies and is currently the Project Manager for a UH Hilo contract with the Department of Agriculture to produce a current digital map of Hawaii's statewide agricultural footprint
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of May 17, 2015Next →
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.