Guest Lecture: Rise of ISIS; Syrian Civil War; Nuclear Iran - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Guest Lecture: Rise of ISIS; Syrian Civil War; Nuclear Iran
Location: UCB 100
Former Ambassador Gary Grappo will be visiting UH Hilo to speak about the rise of ISIS, the Syrian Civil War, and nuke negotiation with Iran. Mr. Grappo has held leadership positions in a variety of public, private, and nonprofit domains for nearly 40 years. In the State Department, Mr. Grappo served in a number of senior positions, including as Diplomat to the Sultanate of Oman and as Envoy and Head of Mission of the Office of the Quartet Representative, Minister Counselor for Political Affairs, and Charge d’Affaires and Deputy Chief of Mission, in Israel, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia, respectively. He has received numerous State Department awards, including the 2009 Senior Foreign Service Presidential Award for his service as Chief of Mission in Oman.
Mr. Grappo holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from the U.S. Air Force Academy, a Master of Science degree in Geodetic Science and Survey Engineering from Purdue University, and an MBA from Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business.
All students, faculty, and staff at UH Hilo and HawCC as well as community members are welcome to attend Mr. Grappo’s lecture, which will be held from 12:30PM to 1:45PM on Tuesday, April 7, in UCB 100. Following this lecture, at 1:45PM, in UCB 100, Mr. Grappo will host an informal conversation for students who are interested in learning more about careers in the Foreign Service. Please go to docs.google.com/a/hawaii.edu/forms/d/1pdFnWG9iCc2ylZ23OFdzsh9Zq0QKRQQC-v1rhd7I9c/viewform?usp=sendform to reserve your seat for the lecture and/or informal conversation session.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 932-7127
What's also happening?
Week of April 5, 2015Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.