Human Rights Watch Film Festival - Announcement Details
This announcement has concluded and is no longer current.
Human Rights Watch Film Festival
UH Hilo is proud to be a host to this year’s Human Rights Watch Traveling Film Festival. Each year highlights from the prestigious Human Rights Watch London and New York festivals are presented in selected cities throughout the world. The film festival will be held on the UH Hilo campus on February 25 and 26 in the University Classroom Building (UCB) Room 127. Admission is free.
On February 25 the festival will begin with “Return to Homs” at 5:30 pm. “Return to Homs” is a remarkably intimate portrait of a group of young revolutionaries in the city of Homs in Syria. The film won the World Cinema Grant Jury Prize for Documentary Film at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. “Big Men” will be shown at 7:00 pm. A cautionary tale about the toll of American oil investment in West Africa, “Big Men” reveals the secretive worlds of both corporations and local communities in Nigeria and Ghana.
The festival will conclude with two films on February 26. “Scheherazade’s Diary” will be featured at 5:30 pm. This engaging tragicomic documentary follows women inmates through a 10-month drama therapy/theater project set up in a prison in Lebanon. “Sepideh: Reaching for the Stars” will begin at 7:00 pm. This is an inspiring film about a young Iranian women who dares to dream of a future as an astronaut.
The film festival is sponsored by the UH Hilo International Student Services and Intercultural Education program and made possible through a grant from the University of Hawaii Diversity and Equity Initiative. For more information, visit hilo.hawaii.edu/international or call (808) 932-7467.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-932-7467
What's also happening?
Week of February 22, 2015Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.