Public Lecture - Homegrown Terrorists by Dr. Thom Curtis - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Public Lecture - Homegrown Terrorists by Dr. Thom Curtis
Location: UCB 100 & hilo.hawaii.edu/news/live/
Over the past year, concerns have grown regarding the number of young Americans, Canadians and Europeans who have traveled to the Middle East to fight with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS). National security agencies on both continents are concerned about the increased potential for homegrown attacks when these ‘veterans’ return from the battlefield. In this public lecture, Dr. Curtis will discuss:
- the new ISIL connection and the radicalization process many of these “homegrown terrorists” have experienced
- his findings regarding the motivations and criminal pathways of these “homegrown terrorists”
- the steps that security and intelligence agencies are taking to counter this threat
Dr. Thom Curtis
Thom Curtis, Ph.D. is a professor in the Department of Sociology at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. He has been lead investigator on several projects regarding homegrown terrorism including the development of a database of United States citizens who have conducted radical Islamist terrorism activities. Dr. Curtis has published numerous articles detailing his research on disasters and terrorism. He has been invited to present his findings at conferences in the United States, Europe and Israel. He is currently serving as the chair of the Social Sciences Division at UH Hilo
Hosted by University of Hawaii at Hilo Faculty Congress and the College of Continuing Education and Community Service (CCECS)
For more information, call CCECS at 974-7664
For disability accommodation, call 974-7664 (V), 974-7002 (TTY) by February 8, 2015
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7664
What's also happening?
Week of February 15, 2015Next →
Holiday observed: Presidents’ Day
- AANAPISI Scholarship
- Apply for an AANAPISI scholarship from the Asian & Pacific Islander American (APIA) Scholars! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $5,000 awards for the Spring 2021 semester. Deadline to apply: November 11. ...
- Anti-Stigma Project: Submit your pics today!
- Help to stop the stigma on our campus by contributing to our anti-stigma project! Let's spread the word that everyone's mental health matters and that we are a campus that cares! GET CREATIVE! -Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to ...
- Virtual Reverse Career Fair--All majors welcome!
- The Hawaii Island Chamber of Commerce and the College of Business and Economics bring you the first-ever Virtual Reverse Career Fair. ...
- Kanilehua Submissions Are Open
- Kanilehua, UH Hilo's art and literary magazine, is now accepting submissions for its Spring 2021 issue. We are accepting submissions of literature, visual art, sheet music, and mixed medium pieces. Visit our website to submit: https://hilo. ...
- Study Abroad Applications due December 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2021 or the 2021-22 academic year, you need to submit your application by December 1, 2020. Applications are available at hilo.hawaii. ...
- UH Hilo Student Association Makahiki Giveaway
- Lono-i-ka-Makahiki! This year, UHHSA wanted to take the time to celebrate our Makahiki season here in Hawaiʻi nei. Makahiki was a time of peace and ceremony. Also included in the celebrations for this important season were the Makahiki games. ...
- Walk-in Wednesdays
- Counseling services will now be offering 30 minutes walk-in sessions, every Wednesday from 1-4 pm. We know things happen and you may need to talk with someone immediately. This service is open to all UH Hilo students. ...
- APIA Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from the Asian & Pacific Islander American (APIA) Scholars! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards for the 2021-2022 school year. Deadline to apply: January 14, 2021. ...
- Hohonu Submissions are Open!
- Every year, Hohonu publishes an academic journal filled with papers submitted by students. Submissions are accessed by the Hohonu staff and from there are either accepted into the editing process or denied. ...
- Kanilehua Visual Poetry Event
- The Kanilehua team is accepting requests for Kailehua to send out take-home materials to create a piece of "visual poetry" - poetry that incorporates elements of both visual art and literature. ...
- 2021-22 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2021-22 UH System Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2020. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2021! Deadline for ...
- Now Accepting UHHSA Hilo Ambassador Applications
- Calling all UH Hilo students! Your UH Hilo Student Association's (UHHSA) Hilo Ambassador program is now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year. ...
- RISO Registration for 2020-2021 is now open
- The 2020-2021 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register is March 26, 2021 at 4:30pm. ...
- 2021-22 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2020, students can complete their 2021-22 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2021. ...
- UHHSA Applications Open! Apply Now!
- UHHSA Applications are open. The University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) is responsible for representing the entire student body and improving the lives of UH Hilo students via methods including, but not limited to, advocacy and ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.