Fall 2014 Great Leaps Dance Concert - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Fall 2014 Great Leaps Dance Concert
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Every semester culminates for the 100 plus dance students of UH Hilo and HCC in a celebration of original choreography by their instructors and invited choreographers. Many styles of dance are represented and it is a concert to entertain all ages as well as thoughtful statements about the human condition. Celeste Staton’s Ballet classes provide a charming dance of toys come to life and a beautiful, jeweled waltz by Shostakovich.
Annie Bunker’s UH Hilo Modern I class will perform a large group work entitled “A Moment in Rain".
A cast of 21 dancers and large umbrellas imparts an impression of a community exploring the wonders and joys of celebrating that wet liquid that falls from the sky. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for kicks.
HCC Modern Jazz I class will perform, CAUGHT", a dance for 21 dancers investigating repetitive habits, co-dependency and the sensations of being stuck and the inability to manifest change.
The UH Hilo Jazz class is doing a piece that is a nod to Bob Fosse co-mingled with other fun and funky dance moves.
Kea Kapahua presents a special piece "How Many?" which incorporates interviews with two combat veterans and portrays some of our society's complexities in dealing with war and peace. This is a physically demanding and athletic dance as well as emotionally engaging.
Dori Yamada has created a dance with shifting tones and a mood that mimics the unsettling way that dreams can shift from one minute to the next: at times peaceful and normal and others scary or funny. Things don't always make sense upon awakening, even to the dreamer.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are open seating $7 General, $5 Discount, UH Hilo / HCC Student (w/ VALID ID) and Children 17 & under
For more information, contact: 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of November 30, 2014Next →
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.