9/16 Update on the Puna Lava Flow - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
9/16 Update on the Puna Lava Flow
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College are closely monitoring the June 27th lava flow from Kīlauea and are currently formulating contingency plans to address various issues that may arise.
At present, both campuses are planning for classes to continue as scheduled. We are talking with faculty and staff about what we can do for people who cannot make it to class if roads are cut off by lava flows. We are also reviewing options to accommodate students who cannot similarly attend class.
While the future flow, direction and impact of the lava is uncertain, we encourage everyone who may be affected to review their personal emergency plans and preparations, which may include taking steps to secure alternative housing.
We are coordinating efforts with Civil Defense and the Red Cross regarding disaster relief efforts. When the needs become clear, we will be part of the community response to ease this burden on our people in Puna.
Updates and information for both campuses will be posted online at hilo.hawaii.edu/puna-lava-flow/
In the meantime, please keep yourself informed by listening to the latest Civil Defense messages at www.hawaiicounty.gov/active-alerts/ and following their instructions and by visiting the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory page at: hvo.wr.usgs.gov/
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What's also happening?
Week of September 14, 2014Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.