Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion Dance Company - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion Dance Company
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
John Singleton’s film, Boyz N The Hood had a profound effect on 14 year-old Kyle Abraham. Now, reimagined as a dance work and set in Pittsburgh’s historically black neighborhoods, Homewood and the Hill District, Pavement aims to create a strong emotional chronology of a culture conflicted and a history plagued by discrimination, and a constant quest for a lottery ticket weighted in freedom. As two rivaling neighborhoods, their histories run parallel. Both experienced a cultural shift in the 1950s when jazz legends like Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Ellington performed at local theaters. Over half a century later, those same theaters are now dilapidated, and the streets that once flourished on family run businesses and a booming jazz scene, now show the sad effects of gang violence and crack cocaine.
Kyle Abraham/Abraham.In.Motion’s work intertwines a sensual and provocative vocabulary with a strong emphasis on sound, human behavior and all things visual in an effort to create an avenue for personal investigation.
Special Restrictions: Reserved seating. Tickets are $30 General, $25 Discount, $15 UH Hilo/Hawaiʻi CC Students with valid ID and Children 17 & under. Day of Show: $35 General, $30 Discount, $20 UH Hilo/Hawaiʻi CC Students with valid ID and Children 17 & under. Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of February 22, 2015Next →
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2019-2020 RISO Registration Open
- Aloha Vulcans! If you are interested in starting a club for the 2019-2020 academic year, please visit the Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) web page at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.