Conquering the Sun - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Conquering the Sun
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Created by Jackie Pualani Johnson and fellow members of the Colorado Caravan at the University of Colorado in 1976
Directed by Kimo Apaka
Maui’s next feat is to stop the Sun Goddess Lā from moving so quickly across the sky. His mother, Hina, complains that her kapa for the lūʻau will not dry because the days are so short. With the help of his sister, Keahi, and others they meet along the way, Maui climbs to the top of the mountain and lassoes Lā with a rope made of their hair. Lā finally agrees to slow down, allowing the days to be longer in the summer and shorter in the winter.
Conquering the Sun is an amalgamation of several Hawaiian myths, created by the CU Colorado Caravan to help us all remember that working together is often more effective than working alone, and that helping others can be more profitable than just helping yourself!
This performance is suitable for children of all ages! Please note the 7:00pm start time for the evening performances!
Special Restrictions: Reserved seating. Tickets are $12 General, $7 Discount, $5 UHH/HCC Students w/ VALID ID and Children 17 & under. Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: UHH PAC Box Office 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of November 9, 2014Next →
Holiday observed: Veterans’ Day
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.