Conquering the Sun - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Conquering the Sun
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Created by Jackie Pualani Johnson and fellow members of the Colorado Caravan at the University of Colorado in 1976
Directed by Kimo Apaka
Maui’s next feat is to stop the Sun Goddess Lā from moving so quickly across the sky. His mother, Hina, complains that her kapa for the lūʻau will not dry because the days are so short. With the help of his sister, Keahi, and others they meet along the way, Maui climbs to the top of the mountain and lassoes Lā with a rope made of their hair. Lā finally agrees to slow down, allowing the days to be longer in the summer and shorter in the winter.
Conquering the Sun is an amalgamation of several Hawaiian myths, created by the CU Colorado Caravan to help us all remember that working together is often more effective than working alone, and that helping others can be more profitable than just helping yourself!
This performance is suitable for children of all ages! Please note the 7:00pm start time for the evening performances!
Special Restrictions: Reserved seating. Tickets are $12 General, $7 Discount, $5 UHH/HCC Students w/ VALID ID and Children 17 & under. Call 932-7490 or order online at artscenter.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: 932-7490
What's also happening?
Week of November 9, 2014Next →
Holiday observed: Veterans’ Day
- Scheduled Emergency Exercise: Campus Lockdown
- On Tuesday, July 30, Campus Security will be conducting a campus wide Emergency Exercise - Lockdown drill. The purpose of this exercise is to help us prepare should a real incident occur. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaiʻi Island. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2020-2021
- Will you graduating in the Spring 2020? Are you a US citizen interested in conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2020-2021 academic ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2020 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2020 or the academic year ('20-'21) you need to submit your application by October 4, 2019. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.