Skip to content

Spend the summer in Australia

UH Hilo Home > News and Events > UH Hilo Press Releases

Date: Thursday, October 21, 2010
Contact: Alyson Kakugawa-Leong, (808) 974-7642

For Immediate Release

The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, in cooperation with American Universities International Programs (AUIP), offers a unique study abroad opportunity in Australia, May 19 – June 13, 2011. The 3.5-week experiential program uses the theme of sustainable development to explore the relationship between people and their natural environment. The application deadline is March 1, 2011.

The program explores the dynamic cultures and natural environments of the region, traveling extensively as a group with Dr. William Mautz, UH Hilo biology professor, and local field experts. Credit is available for six semester credits (Humans and the Environment) and the program is open to students as well as to the general public.

Students will spend 70% of their time traveling the national parks, forests, wildlife reserves, coastlines, and islands of South Queensland under the guidance of knowledgeable field professionals. The program begins in Brisbane followed by a three-week field study of South Queensland. The last leg of the program includes Lady Elliot Island (an isolated island on the Great Barrier Reef) and visiting Lamington National Park and Carnarvon Gorge. Program activities include snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, experiencing Aboriginal bush life, and hiking tropical rainforests.

The program fee of $5,333 includes tuition, all accommodations, in-country transportation, some meals, and all excursions and activities. International airfare is not included (visit for optional group airfare information).

Contact Corinne Tamashiro at (808) 974-7664 or Carolina Lam at (808) 933-8810 with any questions, or visit

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "" or "" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.