Applications being accepted for Counseling Psychology program

UH Hilo Home > News and Events > UH Hilo Press Releases

Date: Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Contact: Alyson Kakugawa-Leong (808) 974-7642

For Immediate Release

The University of Hawaii at Hilo is now accepting applications for its Master of Arts (M.A.) degree program in Counseling Psychology for Fall 2007.

The M.A. in Counseling Psychology is a 60-credit hour program based on a scientist-practitioner model and designed to provide multicultural-focused, student-centered graduate training in counseling psychology. It aims to train students to become knowledgeable, skillful, ethical counselors able to assist people in need of professional counseling services.

The program’s curriculum meets the educational requirements for licensure as a Mental Health Counselor in the State of Hawai’i. Graduates from the program will be able to work in a variety of counseling settings that include, but are not limited to, state and federal counseling agencies, a variety of mental health programs, schools, and the private mental health care industry.

To be eligible for admission, applicants must possess a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution, a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, a minimum of 24 semester hours of course work in psychology, at least one 3-credit course in statistics and one 3-credit course in research methods from any discipline, and a score of 550 on the TOEFL if English is not the applicants’ native language, or the undergraduate degree was earned in a non-English speaking country.

The priority application deadline is February 1, 2007, although applications may be accepted after that depending on space availability. Admission will be limited to a maximum of 20 students.

For more information, please visit Additional information is also available by contacting Dr. Chris Frueh at

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "" or "" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.