UH Hilo offers spring art classes for teens

UH Hilo Home > News and Events > UH Hilo Press Releases

Date: Monday, January 7, 2019
Contact: Alyson Kakugawa-Leong, (808) 932-7669

For Immediate Release

The Center for Community Engagement (CCE) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo offers a variety of art classes for students age 12-15.

Tween/Teen Art: Fractured Painting Workshop teaches students simple and fun techniques to complete two abstract paintings. Students will create organic and geometric shapes with tape and acrylic paints for unique, eye-catching designs. This one-day make-and-take workshop is held Monday, January 21, 1 – 4 pm, in the UH Hilo Campus PB-5 classroom. Cost is $45.

The Tween/Teen Art: Funky Tile Design Workshop will teach students techniques for designing a set of four unique tiles to take home. By using permanent markers and alcohol, participants will create splashes of colorful watercolor-like designs. This workshop is held Monday, February 18, 1 – 4 pm, in the UH Hilo Campus PB-5 classroom. Cost is $45.

In the Tween/Teen Art: Introduction to Watercolor class series, students will learn the application of watercolor paints to create finished pieces. Topics include techniques such as working dry versus wet, light versus dark, texture, spattering, and more. Classes are held daily, March 18-22, from 3 – 5pm in the UH Hilo Campus PB-5 classroom. Cost is $100.

Instructor Jessica Brand is a graduate of Hawaiʻi Community College and UH Hilo with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Art. A life-long artist and social advocate, she has worked with children and adults for many years through the YMCA, Kamehameha Schools, Girl Scouts of America, and Catholic Charities Hawaiʻi.

For more information and to register, call CCE at 932-7830 or visit https://hilo.hawaii.edu/cce/.

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "hilo.hawaii.edu" or ".uhh.hawaii.edu" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.