UH Hilo and Bangladesh University enter academic and research partnerships

Date: Monday, January 29, 2018
Contact: Alyson Kakugawa-Leong, (808) 932-7669

For Immediate Release

The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and a Maritime University in the People’s Republic of Bangladesh formalized a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to collaborate on academic and research initiatives in maritime and marine affairs during a MOU Recognition Ceremony held January 26 on the UH Hilo campus.

UH Hilo Interim Chancellor Marcia Sakai was joined by a visiting delegation from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Maritime University, which included the Vice Chancellor, Rear Admiral A S M Abdul Baten, and the Deputy Secretary of Education from the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Shahnaz Samad. Under the agreement, the universities are exploring linkages in a wide range of areas, including maritime safety, security, and navigational technologies, as well as marine, maritime and environmental management to expand educational opportunities for their respective students.

During their visit, the delegation met with faculty from the Marine Science Department and College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management to discuss projects under the MOU framework, which include:

• Academic exchange programs, including university publications, treaties and research materials
• Short-term faculty exchanges for the purpose of cooperation in research, teaching and other scholarly activities, and pursuing educational and research funding
• Collaboration in joint research projects and publications
• Professional development courses in maritime topics provided by UH Hilo and delivered in Bangladesh or elsewhere as mutually agreed to

The MOU is for five years and may be extended, subject to agreement by the

Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that are not of the "hilo.hawaii.edu" or ".uhh.hawaii.edu" domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.