Women's March 2019
Photos and Captions Courtesy of Staff Photographer Leah Wyzykowski
People of all ages and backgrounds came out to celebrate the 2019 Women’s March in Downtown Hilo
The march’s route was approximately 1.3 miles and began at the Hilo State Building, turned right down Pauahi Street then turned left to Kamehameha Avenue, then right onto Ponahawai Street, right on Kilauea Avenue then straight back to the State Building.
(From left to right) Celeste Sweezey, Arlene Buklarewicz, Hercules and Dianna Greetan pose with their march sign.
Many participants of the march sported these these pink hats to show support and empowerment for women including, (from left to right) Christi Jean Donnelly, Tiffany Tang, Judy Tang, and Emily Lethlean.
LGBTQ rights were another major focus of the Women’s March as seen here with Lea-Carol Glennon (right) and Evelyn DeCourt (left).
Travis Rogers, pictured here, was another avid supporter of LGBTQ rights; easy to spot in the crowd while waving a bright rainbow flag, Travis also marched for disability rights.
While the main topics of the march were women’s and LGBTQ rights, the march also hosted many people supporting other causes.
Azya Martinez, pictured here, marched to bring attention to family separation at the Mexican border.
Many dogs joined the march with their owners, including Pua (pictured here).
Throughout the whole march, waves and shakas were exchanged between marchers and drivers, showing support of gender equality on the island.
- 24th Annual Ho`olaule`a
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit Celebrates Survivors and Focuses on College Students
- American Physical Society Goes Tropical
- An Anthology for a Threatened Planet
- An Overview of the Made in Hawai`i Film Festival
- Astro Day West
- Community Service Made a Difference
- Constitution Day at UH Hilo
- Dance Collective Photo Gallery
- Dr. Kealani Cook Talks Book at UH Hilo
- Drag Queens Visit UH Hilo
- Editorial: A Sharp Stroke of Fear
- First Ever UH Hilo CANFRM Student Symposium
- First of UH Hilo Chancellor Finalists Visits Campus
- Hawai`i Police Department Hosts Active Shooter Presentation
- International Nights Photo Gallery
- Lip-Sync Battle in Campus Center
- Lovely LGBTQ+ Center
- Making Yoga Approachable
- Perspective on Performance Poetry
- So You’re Telling Me There’s a Chance
- Stoke, the Lava Drama
- Students invited to speak to chancellor search firm
- Students Win Hawai‘i Business Plan Competition Scholarship
- Supporting Survivors
- UH Hilo Receives Gun Violence Threat on Campus
- UH Hilo Women’s Soccer Senior Night
- UHHSA to Host Open Forum for College of Business and Economics
- Vulcan Athletics Recap
- Vulcan Athletics Weekend Recap
- Vulcan Volleyball Splits Rivalry Weekend
- Vulcans Go 6-2 Before Road Trip
- Vulcans Lose Grant for PacWest Doubleheader
- Vulcans Off to Hot Start
- Vulcans win in tournament opener
- Vulcans Win Some and Lose Some Against Sunbirds
- Wearing The White Coats
- Why We Dance
- Women's March 2019