Vulcan Athletics Recap
A recap and outlook of Vulcan athletics
Editor-in-Chief Peter Holden Chao / Photo Courtesy of UH Hilo Athletics
As the soccer, volleyball, and cross country seasons come to a close the implications of upcoming matches may spell “postseason” for some, while for other teams all is said and done.
Vulcan volleyball celebrated their Senior Night on Nov. 3rd in the UHH Gymnasium as the Vulcans celebrated seniors Evelin Solymvari, Basia Sauni, Mina Grant, and Kiley Davis following a 3-0 sweep of the Point Loma Sea Lions. The win was a helpful step in keeping the Vulcan’s postseason hopes alive following a crushing loss to PacWest leaders Azusa Pacific on Halloween night. The Vulcans need to win their final three games in order to keep their hopes of a postseason appearance alive. They will face Fresno Pacific Wed. Nov. 7 at 7 p.m. at home, before going on the road to face Hawaiʻi Pacific and Chaminade University in their final two games on Nov. 9 and 10 respectively.
Women’s soccer finished 2nd in the PacWest this year finishing with a record of 10-4-2 after winning 3 games in a row to close their season. They are graduating eleven seniors this year. Men’s soccer had no such luck, finishing near the bottom of the PacWest with a final record of 4-12.
Vulcan Cross Country ran at the PacWest Championships with freshman Olivia Jarvis leading the way for the Vulcans finishing with a time of 24:01 for 39th overall. The cross country team graduates senior Meghan Langbehn who finished second of the Vulcan runners with a time of 25:32 for 63rd overall. The 9th place finish in the PacWest is Vulcan cross country’s best result since 2013.
Women’s basketball went on the road to Oʻahu to face UH Mānoa in an exhibition game that resulted in a 62-26 loss for the Vulcans. They will open regular season play Nov. 16 and 17 against Multnomah at the Civic Auditorium in Hilo at 6 and 5 p.m. respectively.
Vulcan softball teased their upcoming season with a Fall Preview Scrimmage game on Nov. 3 and will be hosting an Alumni game on Nov. 10 at noon, at the UH Hilo Softball Field.
Vulcan baseball is currently hosting their own version of the World Series, in which coaches have drafted two teams, Grey and Red, that are currently playing in a best-of-seven series. Currently the Grey team is leading 2-0 after winning Game 1 and 2. They will play again on Nov. 6 at 2:45 p.m. at Wong Stadium.
- 24th Annual Ho`olaule`a
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit Celebrates Survivors and Focuses on College Students
- American Physical Society Goes Tropical
- An Anthology for a Threatened Planet
- An Overview of the Made in Hawai`i Film Festival
- Astro Day West
- Community Service Made a Difference
- Constitution Day at UH Hilo
- Dance Collective Photo Gallery
- Dr. Kealani Cook Talks Book at UH Hilo
- Drag Queens Visit UH Hilo
- Editorial: A Sharp Stroke of Fear
- First Ever UH Hilo CANFRM Student Symposium
- First of UH Hilo Chancellor Finalists Visits Campus
- Hawai`i Police Department Hosts Active Shooter Presentation
- International Nights Photo Gallery
- Lip-Sync Battle in Campus Center
- Lovely LGBTQ+ Center
- Making Yoga Approachable
- Perspective on Performance Poetry
- So You’re Telling Me There’s a Chance
- Stoke, the Lava Drama
- Students invited to speak to chancellor search firm
- Students Win Hawai‘i Business Plan Competition Scholarship
- Supporting Survivors
- UH Hilo Receives Gun Violence Threat on Campus
- UH Hilo Women’s Soccer Senior Night
- UHHSA to Host Open Forum for College of Business and Economics
- Vulcan Athletics Recap
- Vulcan Athletics Weekend Recap
- Vulcan Volleyball Splits Rivalry Weekend
- Vulcans Go 6-2 Before Road Trip
- Vulcans Lose Grant for PacWest Doubleheader
- Vulcans Off to Hot Start
- Vulcans win in tournament opener
- Vulcans Win Some and Lose Some Against Sunbirds
- Wearing The White Coats
- Why We Dance
- Women's March 2019